Which Chainsaw for Forestry

Jamie Jones

Not really a one saw answer, I've used the full range of Stihl and Husqvarna and as the years have gone by I've found the Husqvarna's suit me better. Hard to beat the 550 for small stuff and brashing, 562 for medium and I'm finding the 572 very good for the stuff 1470 or 951 leaves behind. This is the stock saw list ported is another conversation ! 

Been doing a job this last couple of weeks and going from Douglas Fir to Scots to Larch and Beech  all with 28" on the 572 and been no trouble a good saw with same weight as 372 XP XT. 

Haven't seen a 565 yet be interesting to see how it sells as the replacement for the 365.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stere said:

The OE figures are one of the reasons I started this data base nearly 8 years ago:

http://www.pbase.com/wyk/unofficial_chainsaw_weight_gallery

You'll notice the actual power head weights rarely agree with what the factory says they are.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Rough Hewn said:

Why will stihl only recommend a 20" bar? When the 440 would pull 25" and the 461 30".
It's probably an emissions thing?

Stihl's website shows 18"-25" length bars...  See: https://www.stihl.co.uk/STIHL-Products/Chainsaws-and-Telescopic-Pole-Pruners/Petrol-chainsaws-for-forestry-work/279876-130/MS-462-C-M-Forestry-Chainsaw.aspx

As a technician that has worked on machinery for 30 years, I have seen technology change through the years. When Husqvarna brought out the 500 series, there was a design flaw. What they did is removed the crankcase seals and inserted the seal into the bearing on both sides. The composition of the rubber would not take the heat and engines were blowing up within the first few days of use. Since then, they strengthened the rubber of those seals, but over time the rubber will deteriorate and the engine will blow. A 2 stroke engine does what is known as scavenging with its heat. When the piston is moving back up, it blows the exhaust out of the exhaust port, but when the piston goes past and blocks the exhaust port, some exhaust goes down the intake port, which, this is how the heat gets to the crankshaft and to the bearings and those seals. In my view, you will have those who love Husqvarna and those that love Stihl and other brands. But with any 500 series Husqvarna, don’t be surprised if the shop says it has score marks and needs to be overhauled! With these, the crankcase also needs to be split and the bearings with the seals need to be replaced. If you would like your chainsaws repaired by me, feel free to get in contact. Dana 07858 579436

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, adw said:

I think i will give you a miss!, Husqvarna have used used replaceable seals in many saws, from the 140s through to the 346, i do not think your statement holds up, sorry.

Andrew ! . You are not sorry , I can tell ?