Which Chainsaw for Forestry

Jamie Jones

2 minutes ago, outinthewood said:

On the 394 - I've had 2 as well one low and my present one a Hi top, used a couple of 395s and yes I reckon the 394 has the edge on torque and would say I was almost disappointed with the 395 ? I'm going to get this wrong but is it the carb better on the 394 and the cyl better to port on the 395 ? put those together and a good result ! 

On the ported saws - I run 562,372,"375" 385,390 and 394 just MM'd 288, 2101s , 576s, 562, 461, 550 , 560 , 346 and no problems on site but then I don't say a whole lot about what I'm using … 

I think it was a Walbro on the 394 and a Tillotson on the 395 . maybe that is a factor ?

Edited by Stubby

My mate has a 394, its had an exhaust mod at some point, it sounds like and pulls like a chuffing animal! Pops a bit at top end occasionally but doesnt seem to lose power with it. I found it a hand full to be honest, bit heavy for me personally and after a while gave me a bit of arm pump, (but we were nearly up to our knees in bog and at it all day which took its toll on my whole body to be honest) [emoji30]

41 minutes ago, outinthewood said:

And what problem do I have to solve ? After almost 30 years of using saws and cutting timber I have more than a fair idea of how to do my job … Why would anyone want to use a 395 when if you have a very well ported range of saws to do the same job with less effort ?? Oh and as I have a ported 394 no thanks on the 395 !! 

Do a few curls and grow some arms ! You’ll get there with a good diet. 

23 hours ago, Joe Newton said:

Not to worry, the fact that you use the hp red oil means that you're a basic bitch and your opinion means nothing. 

I'll await the comments from hp super users and above!

well this has got interesting, doe,s it really matter what colour the oil is ? and befor you tell me yes i do know the differance ones blue and about a tenner a drum dearer than the red one, been using the red HP super for years now and no problems with any saws yet and thats running 9 different saws from 241 - 660, generally get throught 10-15 ltrs per year. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, doobin said:

.... I thought it was green, not blue?

i use Stihl red because it’s never given me any problems, and most importantly, you can actually see that the fuel is mixed. Not so easy with the green oil n

Yes this was why I used the stihl 2t in the old days, when my saws were mostly husky, but no reason not to use a higher spec oil on the new generation saws, I just wish it was red rather than blue for the above reason.