Which Chainsaw for Forestry

Jamie Jones

I don't have much experience in trees as large as that and not having done domestic work, I never really ring up. On my jobs, it's only a cut every 3-4m, so a shorter bar is no impediment, and besides, my little forwarder won't pick up larger sticks anyway.

I'll use the example of a spruce thinning job we did in August. One of the cutters came with a 372XP (very quick cutter) to fell some fairly large spruce (100ft average, 18" DBH). He was running a 15" bar on it. He then had an issue with the saw and had to borrow an MS261 on a 15 from another cutter. His production rate actually went up when he dropped to a smaller saw.

Since they finally sorted the teething problems with the needle cage etc they are my go to saw.
261 2"dogs 18" bar 16" cutting length.
Great little ripper.
IMG_2634.jpg
[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]
  • Like 4

Stihl 361, didn't need 066 to fell that. Definately smallest saw fr task- if it's sharp it will do the work not yr back n shoulders ! K

P071210_13.55_[02].jpg

( might be time fr me to do my big fell ticket..... dunno ? ;)  )

Edited by Khriss
Hilarity
  • Like 6

462 ... not used the 572 but picked one up.. 462 is a pretty amazing saw , I run it on an 18” I would of gone for the 572 if there was any on the shelves but was really surprised that the 462 is that good ,light and well balanced with great power.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MattyF said:

462 ... not used the 572 but picked one up.. 462 is a pretty amazing saw , I run it on an 18” I would of gone for the 572 if there was any on the shelves but was really surprised that the 462 is that good ,light and well balanced with great power.

R.H. says its underpowered for a 70cc saw .  You don't find it so ?

[emoji38]No... no way ! I’ve had 272’s 372’s 044’s 460’s and a 576 and have spent a lot of time on all of them and love this saw.. I would rather of used a 560 instead of a 70cc saw in the woods but this has changed my mind.. in my mind there are two different types of 70cc saws though.. the 440 441 and 462 372.
Then there is the 460 461 576 dolmar/Makita 7900 the later will pull a big bar better every time but then they are nearly 80cc saws and who wants a big bar in the woods? Fair enough if your on spikes on a big spar.

2 minutes ago, MattyF said:

emoji38.pngNo... no way ! I’ve had 272’s 372’s 044’s 460’s and a 576 and have spent a lot of time on all of them and love this saw.. I would rather of used a 560 instead of a 70cc saw in the woods but this has changed my mind.. in my mind there are two different types of 70cc saws though.. the 440 441 and 462 372.
Then there is the 460 461 576 dolmar/Makita 7900 the later will pull a big bar better every time but then they are nearly 80cc saws and who wants a big bar in the woods? Fair enough if your on spikes on a big spar.

Ok . Thanks Matty . Not tried one myself and most of the revues have been positive .  Specifically R.H. says it will not pull a 25" bar . The max I put on my spud 372XP is 24" but it pulls it fine .  I suppose if the 462 is on an 18" or 20" then it would be fine .  

Here's Scott AKA TreeMonkey, using an OE MS462CM in a cant of what appears to be poplar on a 28" bar.

If you let the saw do the work and keep your chains sharp, I think that 462 could do about anything with a 20-24" bar.

168465094.uYueVZeU.jpg

137564869.iMDfwK67.365.JPG

Checked in my local stihl dealer this morning.
Max recommended bar is 20".
But hey I can run a 36" bar on my 261. [emoji848][emoji57][emoji12]
The 461 (76cc) will pull a 30" bar happily.
Yet the 462 (70cc) is only 10% smaller engine and takes a bar 10" less.
These are stihl recommendations.

• Like 2