How to keep birds out of trees

EEHL

1 hour ago, drinksloe said:

Don't think so, perfectly legal to shoot some corvid soecies as they sit on the nest, and is widely done for crow conrol.

All legal as long as u comply withe the terms of th General Licence u are using

Mibee if u said wot bird species is sitting there it might help, bt to be honest it just wot birds do.

Ur cd's or hawk things might be worth of shot.

Is there a reason why there sitting in that tree, nearby food? If so take that away

Yes I am aware there are certain exceptions, and I assumed the original poster was not talking about game birds.  

I thought it worth mentioning the general law as it sounded like the poster who suggested destroying the nests was unaware that this is usually illegal.  He did not say you would need to check the species and have a specific license and use certain methods.  As professionals we all have to be careful of what we tell the public.  I am sure we are all aware on this website about the laws relating to felling trees but maybe not disturbing bird nests.

On 29/05/2018 at 16:36, EEHL said:

They are crapping all over the customers kids swing set and they are worried about the health implications.  Moving the swing set isn't an option

Wouldn't it just be easier to go out with a bucket of hot soapy water and wipe the swingset over before the kids play on it?

• Like 1

We are thinking of trying some bird spikes on a TPO'd pine for a really desperate client. Hoping to move the pigeons from sitting above a seating area.  We will see if it works.. Not sure of the best way to attach them..?

https://www.birdspikesonline.co.uk/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw9LPYBRDSARIsAHL7J5kh9Dng3-bHxKpmSSlMdpTS3cG4hE7tAyeG6-bjXN_6WD2dZYf2wjAaAvYXEALw_wcB

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Squaredy said:

Yes I am aware there are certain exceptions, and I assumed the original poster was not talking about game birds.  

I thought it worth mentioning the general law as it sounded like the poster who suggested destroying the nests was unaware that this is usually illegal.  He did not say you would need to check the species and have a specific license and use certain methods.  As professionals we all have to be careful of what we tell the public.  I am sure we are all aware on this website about the laws relating to felling trees but maybe not disturbing bird nests.

Not sure wot ur on about with game birds as u can't shoot game birds out of their nests or at any time apart from the game seasons. I would also guess game birds aren't causing the problem

It all depends on the reasons and birds species, it sounds like u could argue environmental health (conservation and crop protection are the other 2 main licences used) with the dropping so u would be ok to control certain species if u wanted.

The General Licence is not the same UK wide and slightly different in each country so u have to make sure u comply with them in ur country.

U don't need to apply for the GL they are open to anyone to use as long as u have read them and follow the rules

It would be illegal for a tree surgeon to fell a tree with a corbie nest in it or destroy the nest, but perfectly legal to shoot the nest out for conservation or crop protection

Back to OP it willreally all depend on bird speies and tree type, u mibee could trim some branches if no other suitable perches, or bird spikes as has been mentioned or just constant disturbance as soon as they perch there, they'll soon find somewhere else

• 4 years later...