Low impact forestry services in Devon and the South West

Big J

32 minutes ago, Stubby said:

I get the feeling Jonathan that some peeps think we won't hear from you again ! 😀

I'll still be in the timber game, still here on arbtalk ☺️

Went back to that swimming spot with the family later in the day. I could see people on the other beach about 600m away, but we had ours to ourselves. Lots of swimming with my older daughter, plus caught 14 crayfish to show the girls.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Big J said:

I'll still be in the timber game, still here on arbtalk ☺️

Went back to that swimming spot with the family later in the day. I could see people on the other beach about 600m away, but we had ours to ourselves. Lots of swimming with my older daughter, plus caught 14 crayfish to show the girls.

Good for you, I hope you and the family enjoy and settle well.  I would guess the schools knock spots off the average comprehensive in the uk!

What are the house prices generally?  I looked at the one you linked on Arbtalk - it looked amazing.  Is this a typical price - I thought most of Western Europe would be pretty pricey these days?  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Squaredy said:

Good for you, I hope you and the family enjoy and settle well.  I would guess the schools knock spots off the average comprehensive in the uk!

What are the house prices generally?  I looked at the one you linked on Arbtalk - it looked amazing.  Is this a typical price - I thought most of Western Europe would be pretty pricey these days?  

Thanks Gavin. 

The schools are just much better funded. Classes of 11 or 12, instead of 28-30. Fewer exams and more emphasis on an outdoor education.

House prices in our area vary from 5-10 times cheaper than Devon. Obvious holiday lets can fetch towards the high end, as well as family houses near the school. Our house would be about £600-700k more in Devon. 

A few photos from this afternoon's swimming spot:

May be an image of body of water, nature and treeMay be an image of lake, tree and nature

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, Big J said:

Thanks Gavin. 

The schools are just much better funded. Classes of 11 or 12, instead of 28-30. Fewer exams and more emphasis on an outdoor education.

House prices in our area vary from 5-10 times cheaper than Devon. Obvious holiday lets can fetch towards the high end, as well as family houses near the school. Our house would be about £600-700k more in Devon. 

May be an image of body of water, nature and treeMay be an image of lake, tree and nature

Looks quiet enough to go skinny dipping J 😆

• Haha 1

Just now, topchippyles said:

Looks quiet enough to go skinny dipping J 😆

That's one of the town swimming spots, so actually relatively busy. I skinny dipped yesterday morning whilst out on the gravel bike as I didn't have trunks with me :D

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Big J said:

That's one of the town swimming spots, so actually relatively busy. I skinny dipped yesterday morning whilst out on the gravel bike as I didn't have trunks with me :D

Way too much information.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Big J said:

Thanks Gavin. 

That all sounds idilic.

The outdoor education aspect is so important for children, sadly massively undervalued in this country. The reduction of exam stress must be almost as important as well.

I'm curious; what's the Swedish immigration policy like? You'd have thought it would be pretty tough, with life so good there. Something like the Aussie system, or the UKs these days for that matter.

The house price differential is just crazy!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, sime42 said:

That all sounds idilic.

The outdoor education aspect is so important for children, sadly massively undervalued in this country. The reduction of exam stress must be almost as important as well.

I'm curious; what's the Swedish immigration policy like? You'd have thought it would be pretty tough, with life so good there. Something like the Aussie system, or the UKs these days for that matter.

As an eu member state, immigration from within other member states will be completely open.  What chances a Brit has of moving there to work I don’t know.  I seem to remember that big j and family had joint nationality (German maybe).

10 hours ago, sime42 said:

That all sounds idilic.

It's not as easy to get in as it once was. My German passport affords me many advantages, but I still have to show that I either intend to work or am financially independent. I am definitely not the latter!

My wife (an architect by profession) has largely retrained to teach English with TEFL, and is hoping to convert her two architecture degrees and TEFL qualification into a full teaching qualification here. English teachers are in short supply. 

You get a lot for your money here. For many people in the UK with a normal house that's half paid off, moving here would mean a massive house upgrade, mortgage eliminated and £50-200k liberated in equity

This is a nice one that's popped up fairly recently in a local hamlet. It's about 9km from us. I cycle through there fairly regularly and it's quiet and scenic.

6 bedrooms, 0.7 acres, geothermal heating and £76k: 

Välkommen till Stenberga 21 - en lantlig idyll! Huset är beläget på en lummig tomt omgiven av härlig grönska och natur. Det charmiga huset har en total yta om hela 380kvm och passar...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2