Low impact forestry services in Devon and the South West

Big J

2 hours ago, Stubby said:

In what way does it differ from what you are used to Jonathan ?

From a work perspective? The forest is much cleaner - no invasive species. It's just conifers, blueberries, lingonberries, heather and moss on the ground really. Lakes everywhere means I can swim on every site, every day (if I choose). The ground is hard, for the most part, and even the soft bits aren't muddy. They're just boggy. 

No issues with public access and angry walkers. Everyone understands that forestry is important. No access issues for lorries, no traffic to deal with, no narrow roads, no hedge rows. 

The weather is a lot better. 50% more sunshine annually than Devon. Bloody hot in summer (average daily high since we've been here has been a smidge under 30) but frozen winters.

But that's just work. It's much, much better for the kids here. My daughter starts school on Monday in a class of 14. Everything is free at school - snacks, meals, equipment, everything. She has opportunities to learn skills and sports I never did, and that makes me happy. She and her sister be trilingual by the time they leave school, and their education will have been free. They'll be able to afford to buy a comfortable and spacious house easily and whilst they're young. 

I love the access to nature here too. I've been swimming twice today (well the second one was me just sitting in the lake for 10 minutes to cool down after a cycle ride) and I did 42km on the mountain bike with a local MTB group. Hardly touched tarmac in that time, and straight from our village. 

Lots to do and lots to explore. We're looking forward to the future :D

• Like 11

52 minutes ago, Big J said:

From a work perspective? The forest is much cleaner - no invasive species. It's just conifers, blueberries, lingonberries, heather and moss on the ground really. Lakes everywhere means I can swim on every site, every day (if I choose). The ground is hard, for the most part, and even the soft bits aren't muddy. They're just boggy. 

No issues with public access and angry walkers. Everyone understands that forestry is important. No access issues for lorries, no traffic to deal with, no narrow roads, no hedge rows. 

The weather is a lot better. 50% more sunshine annually than Devon. Bloody hot in summer (average daily high since we've been here has been a smidge under 30) but frozen winters.

But that's just work. It's much, much better for the kids here. My daughter starts school on Monday in a class of 14. Everything is free at school - snacks, meals, equipment, everything. She has opportunities to learn skills and sports I never did, and that makes me happy. She and her sister be trilingual by the time they leave school, and their education will have been free. They'll be able to afford to buy a comfortable and spacious house easily and whilst they're young. 

I love the access to nature here too. I've been swimming twice today (well the second one was me just sitting in the lake for 10 minutes to cool down after a cycle ride) and I did 42km on the mountain bike with a local MTB group. Hardly touched tarmac in that time, and straight from our village. 

Lots to do and lots to explore. We're looking forward to the future :D

I reckon most people speak English more clearly than the average Devonian too.

• Haha 2

I'm away at work at the moment but my wife took the girls swimming last night down to the beach at the holiday village. It's quite stunning there at sunset.

My daughters started school and kindergarten this week and it's gone really well. My older one has made some friends and been to a birthday party. Several kids speak perfect English (aged 7-8) including one who taught herself in a year through YouTube. 3 of the 4 children on her table speak some English.

I accompanied my older daughter to school on the first morning but wasn't needed past 11am. Her class has 14 pupils with a teacher and a teaching assistant shared with the other half of the year group.

IMG-20220824-WA0004.jpg

• Like 9

7 hours ago, sime42 said:

What temperature is the water? I mean is it pleasant or "bracing"?

It read 20.7c. That's down a bit from 23 a week or so ago, but we've had a few cooler nights and days where it's only made 22-23c through the day. Should recover a bit by the weekend as we've 31c forecast on Saturday.

I'm swimming at first and last light at the moment and it's comfortably warm throughout.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Big J said:

It read 20.7c. That's down a bit from 23 a week or so ago, but we've had a few cooler nights and days where it's only made 22-23c through the day. Should recover a bit by the weekend as we've 31c forecast on Saturday.

I'm swimming at first and last light at the moment and it's comfortably warm throughout.

That's not too bad at all, similar temp. to a decent swimming pool.

Guessing you won't be swimming quite so much in the winter though.  Can you skate?!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sime42 said:

That's not too bad at all, similar temp. to a decent swimming pool.

Guessing you won't be swimming quite so much in the winter though.  Can you skate?!

I have swum year round in Scotland, so will do the same here. You don't stay in long when it's 1c in the water, but it's invigorating.

I can't skate, but I very much want to learn.