Low impact forestry services in Devon and the South West

Big J

In a complete change of direction professionally for myself and a relocation from one end of the country to the other, my family and I will be relocating from just outside Edinburgh to East Devon in late July. Reasons for moving are mostly personal, but principally to be closer to family and actually see some summer weather. 

The sawmill will continue as it has, being run by the two chaps that work with me, and I will be operating a mini forwarder in Devon and the South West. I have chosen to buy a Logbullet mini forwarder from Finland. 

The machine has a capacity of around 2 tonnes, permanent 8 wheel drive (and tracks for working on very soft or steep ground), a straight lift capacity of over 700kg and an ability to go almost anywhere without leaving a trace. The machine can work on bog and climb very steep slopes with the aid of floatation band tracks.

My plan is to do a variety of work, including purchasing and harvesting standing timber, contracting in for timber extraction, assisting tree surgeons (ideal for working on delicate sites, or where larger machines don't have access), footpath work and indeed anything else. 

As well as the aforementioned lift and transport capacities, the machine is equipped with a winch and a tipping body with clamshell attachment. 

The real beauty of these small forwarders is that there is no job too small. They are transported behind a normal van or 4x4, so incur no haulage costs. Even fully (or over) loaded they weigh less than 5 tonnes, which spread out over 8 large tyres means minimal impact. The track width is only 5ft, so access to extremely tight stands is easy. 

I've got a forestry background, having spent three years doing self select hardwood thinning, and I've done some quite large elm harvesting jobs in the North of Scotland in the past. 

We are planning to be based in the Culm Valley, somewhere around Cullompton. We'll be very close to the M5 and travelling up to an hour in any direction is no problem at all. I'm keen to hit the ground running in August, so please get in touch if you think you can use me and my machine. Introductory rates will apply for the first three months. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8cjSevoc_M

Logbullet 1.jpg

Log bullet 2.jpg

Log bullet 3.jpg

Log bullet 4.jpg

• Like 6

Looks a nice machine J
Is it hydrostatic drive as couldn't see a prop shafts in the joint. If so should be better than the alstor I used a few years ago that just chewed up uj's in there.
All the best with the move and I hope it works well for you.

It is hydrostatic drive, yes. My machine will have fully guarded hydraulic lines going into the bogies as well as a slightly larger cab so that I can comfortably fit! I do remember the Alstor that followed us round mangling it's UJs on brash. 

Thanks for the well wishes chaps. Huge move for us and somewhat terrifying, but will be worth it. 

It is hydrostatic drive, yes. My machine will have fully guarded hydraulic lines going into the bogies as well as a slightly larger cab so that I can comfortably fit! I do remember the Alstor that followed us round mangling it's UJs on brash. 

Thanks for the well wishes chaps. Huge move for us and somewhat terrifying, but will be worth it. 

You’ll be close to my work areas so will defo give you a shout if the right jobs turn up
  • Like 2

not far from me atall atall Big J.  I do work near Cullompton quite a bit.  I have 2 jobs coming up where a machine like that would be useful but i'm flooding the site with men instead of machinery on those 2 occasions.  Good luck with the move man.

• Like 2

Cullumpton only 15mins away from me. Will bare you in mind!

P.S - The mole valley farmers in cullumpton do the best roast pork roll [emoji106]
Mole Valley is also good for a lot of other things;- tools, materials, clothing and even woodburners. Well worth a checking out.
  • Like 1