Low impact forestry services in Devon and the South West

Big J

28 minutes ago, Big J said:

It's not as easy to get in as it once was. My German passport affords me many advantages, but I still have to show that I either intend to work or am financially independent. I am definitely not the latter!

My wife (an architect by profession) has largely retrained to teach English with TEFL, and is hoping to convert her two architecture degrees and TEFL qualification into a full teaching qualification here. English teachers are in short supply. 

You get a lot for your money here. For many people in the UK with a normal house that's half paid off, moving here would mean a massive house upgrade, mortgage eliminated and £50-200k liberated in equity

This is a nice one that's popped up fairly recently in a local hamlet. It's about 9km from us. I cycle through there fairly regularly and it's quiet and scenic.

6 bedrooms, 0.7 acres, geothermal heating and £76k: 

Välkommen till Stenberga 21 - en lantlig idyll! Huset är beläget på en lummig tomt omgiven av härlig grönska och natur. Det charmiga huset har en total yta om hela 380kvm och passar...

J, 

In no way in the nature of a snippy comment, but what are the property taxes like?

Since everything else appears to be disproportinately cheap property purchase and maintenance wise, I am aware of  the significent  taxes on earned income, and the costs of alcohol/eating out.

And I presume the properties you feature are not near desirable urban centres, or what drives such low property prices.

Best wishes,

Marcus

4 hours ago, Big J said:

It's not as easy to get in as it once was. My German passport affords me many advantages, but I still have to show that I either intend to work or am financially independent. I am definitely not the latter!

My wife (an architect by profession) has largely retrained to teach English with TEFL, and is hoping to convert her two architecture degrees and TEFL qualification into a full teaching qualification here. English teachers are in short supply. 

You get a lot for your money here. For many people in the UK with a normal house that's half paid off, moving here would mean a massive house upgrade, mortgage eliminated and £50-200k liberated in equity

This is a nice one that's popped up fairly recently in a local hamlet. It's about 9km from us. I cycle through there fairly regularly and it's quiet and scenic.

Välkommen till Stenberga 21 - en lantlig idyll! Huset är beläget på en lummig tomt omgiven av härlig grönska och natur. Det charmiga huset har en total yta om hela 380kvm och passar...

Wow, what a place.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Big J said:

Must be the cost of land is cheap J as the price of material and trades people would not be that low surly. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, topchippyles said:

Must be the cost of land is cheap J as the price of material and trades people would not be that low surly. 

Yeah, cost of new construction is similar (though generally better quality). There is just an excess of housing stock in parts of Sweden still, but in our area it is getting more expensive now.

• Like 1

Just now, Big J said:

Yeah, cost of new construction is similar (though generally better quality). There is just an excess of housing stock in parts of Sweden still, but in our area it is getting more expensive now.

Anything concreate lined up with work yet ?

3 minutes ago, topchippyles said:

Anything concreate lined up with work yet ?

Not concrete, but plenty pretty much as soon as I get the machine. Just in the process of company registration. Originally, I was going to work alone, but over the last year I've made a good friend originally from Germany and we're going to work together in a partnership instead. Shared capital costs means we neither of us have to work quite so much, so we reckon we can both make a nice living on 30hrs a week over three days each. Keeping the work/life balance right :D

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Big J said:

Not concrete, but plenty pretty much as soon as I get the machine. Just in the process of company registration. Originally, I was going to work alone, but over the last year I've made a good friend originally from Germany and we're going to work together in a partnership instead. Shared capital costs means we neither of us have to work quite so much, so we reckon we can both make a nice living on 30hrs a week over three days each. Keeping the work/life balance right :D

More time for skinny dipping 😂

• Haha 2

A few photos from the last week. The temperature is from this evening, at 18:20. Very warm, but we had AC fitted to the main living area and it's lovely. 

One of the others is my mum and my older daughter standing on the ski slope overlooking the lake and village.

No description available.No description available.No description available.No description available.No description available.No description available.No description available.No description available.No description available.

• Like 14

• 2 weeks later...

It's been just lovely, the last week here. Our container finally arrived. It's largely emptied. 

It's been 29-32c every day, except for a couple of days with some rain last weekend. But we needed it and it wasn't really noticed once it stopped.

Swimming 1-3 times a day, every day. Sociable beaches and secluded spots. Just whatever we fancy. The kids' confidence in the water is improving every day.

Loads of cycling, both for training for myself and also with the family. 

Registered on the population register. My older daughter can now start school on the 22nd. Just waiting to hear about nursery for my younger one, but that should be fine. 

I've got some forwarder driving work next week and the week after helping a friend out.

A stray observation - my elderly neighbour (88) recently had a fall at home and the level of care he's getting to stay in his own house is extraordinary. When I started uni aged 19, I did part time home help work for the council working with folk just like him. Even 20 years ago, the funding was stretched a little and the most a person might get is three calls a day. 

My neighbour here gets (as a best guess) 6 calls a day and they aren't rushing in and out. Same faces every day too, so it's not agency. It's just really nice to see the elderly valued and an emphasis on keeping them in their own homes for as long as possible. 

Some photos:

IMG_20220812_062212_2.jpg

IMG_20220810_091340_5.jpg

IMG_20220809_174024_3.jpg

IMG_20220809_171056_4.jpg

• Like 9