What happened to comedy on the telly?

matelot

mid morning matters (alan partridge) is fairly recent and very funny.  the trip is good.  first few series of peep show were brilliant.  anything with mark heap in is probably going to raise a smile.  I think nowadays comedy is much more niche - everyone liked fawlty towers but modern stuff (which personally I think can be much better) is more dependant on individual taste.  I think stewart lee is the funniest comedian around, but my wife loathes him.

horrible histories is probably my favourite comedy show of all time.  it's not the funniest (but is very funny), but anyone aged 8+ will get most of the jokes, and it's brilliantly done.

I remember weeing myself with laughter at a particular mary whitehouse experience sketch when I was about 12.  most of the best british stuff originates on radio 4.  last year a customer thought I was having a heart-attack because I had the news quiz on my earphones while snedding and miles jupp sent me into convulsions.

1 hour ago, spuddog0507 said:

Can't believe no one has mentioned not going out & Mrs browns boys, not going out must be one of the best comedy's of recent times or is it crap ? Well I don't mind it as its full of quick one liners .

mbbs great add lib lines crying with lafter but the wife dos not get it too quick for her  

Someone already mentioned on another thread that these days your are very restricted in what you say, that kills comedy. I think it was Matt Lucas speaking admit little Britain.

Loved shows links little Britain, Harry Enfield, Paul white house, marry white house experience, jasper carrot (remember him?) Hale and pace, plus great stand ups like Billy Connolly and Mike Harding. Harold Lloyd had his moments too.