Another 40 year old just starting

forestboy1978

2 hours ago, Carl1991 said:

Always take a spare crab and prussik up with you, set one high main anchor and leave it there. On big spreads, to help you get out on skinny limbs, use the other end of your rope, tie a bowline in the end and set prussik, set it above you and back each one off till your where you want to be. I some times use a 8m strop and switch it to my bridge instead of d's.

Thank  you for that extremely useful tip. I will definitely use it. Often I would imagine. 

Currently reading the art of rigging and I've learn't something quite interesting about myself. I can learn knots faster by the imagination of the way they look and feel rather than looking at them. Been practising most nights various things and once I can close my eyes and know what it's going to look like I have it logged in memory. I have a crap memory so it really helps. 

For example. Can easily do a bow line with 1 hand and eyes closed in seconds 100% without fail but each time I tried with both hands and eyes open I'd sometimes screw it and end up with some kind of slip knot type thing. Once I closed my eyes and visualised it I was able to to do it without fail. Really odd but anyway..... 

Really hope customer gives me a review for the oaks. I spoke to him cos I finished and he wasn't there and said any issues, let me know. He said his wife's happy but he hasn't had a chance to see it in the light yet cos of work.  I said don't worry too much about payment till you've had a chance to inspect the tree properly. Been paid. Still waiting on the review. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sime42 said:
3 hours ago, Carl1991 said:
Always take a spare crab and prussik up with you, set one high main anchor and leave it there. On big spreads, to help you get out on skinny limbs, use the other end of your rope, tie a bowline in the end and set prussik, set it above you and back each one off till your where you want to be. I some times use a 8m strop and switch it to my bridge instead of d's.

Carl1991;- how do you attached the long strop to your bridge, exactly? I occasionally use the same approach or attach one of my normal strops to the bridge. It always ends up too crowded though as it all has to clip into the single ring..I've also tried using the spare hole on the Hitch Climber but thats too crowded as well.

Carl,what harness are you using. Add another ring to your bridge, easy on a TM or sequoia

14 hours ago, Khriss said:

Six week arb course n no redirects or cambium savers ? Where was this ? K

My course was 8wks, I’ve shown some redirects, and that long limb walk, then using the other end of rope to come back and be able to position oneself anywhere,  but sadly no cambiums used thou. I guess a 6wk course a lot is spoken about but less is practiced.?

28 minutes ago, Wonky said:

My course was 8wks, I’ve shown some redirects, and that long limb walk, then using the other end of rope to come back and be able to position oneself anywhere,  but sadly no cambiums used thou. I guess a 6wk course a lot is spoken about but less is practiced.?

Mate, I did a four day course at Askam Bryan - York, Mr Mills covered cambium saver use, an redirecting through branch forks- that was 1998- well poor if that ain't covered :( k

15440885135211859113518.jpg

Not properly covering things like cambium savers, all types of friction device and throw line techniques in an I week course is madness. Even on my 3 dayer I got to mess around with a big shot, cambium savers /pulleys and hitch climber etc.

Not that you need a course to use a cambium saver like. That 5 min video on YouTube pretty much all that's required.