Another 40 year old just starting

forestboy1978

Hi guys, 

Yeah basically I'm 40 in March and 99% certain I'll be doing the fast track 6 week course with pro climber this year. 

What's different in my case is I run my own company which is a fencing company and landscaping company so I'll be qualifying and going straight into self employment for myself. 

Now that's the question really. Am I taking this ****? I do have A LOT of experience with saws and doing hedges and stump grinding and a little with climbing. I'm one of those people who just does things if you know what I mean but there is a part of me that's thinking hmmm

I'm pretty fit and often work alone banging out fences so obviously I'm not shy of hard work. 

I'm gonna do it whatever anyone says but I'm interested to hear views. 

Cheers

So, is it worth paying X to get Y ? & I think the only person who can answer that is yourself. I've run a business (not Arb related) in some shape or form for the last 20 years and some things work out and some don't.

You have an advantage as its an additional offering & I assume not your main revenue stream initially, It can be like plate spinning when you have several offerings and theres a rush of activity on different fronts. However I'm sure if you're prepared to put in the effort then you'll reap the rewards and good luck.

As for the age thing, sure thats not a problem, I enjoy climbing at nearly 60.

Just my 2 cents & Im sure others will pitch in.

Edited by NFG
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, NFG said:

So, is it worth paying X to get Y ? & I think the only person who can answer that is yourself. I've run a business (not Arb related) in some shape or form for the last 20 years and some things work out and some don't.

You have an advantage as its an additional offering & I assume not your main revenue stream initially, It can be like plate spinning when you have several offerings and theres a rush of activity on different fronts. However I'm sure if you're prepared to put in the effort then you'll reap the rewards and good luck.

Just my 2 cents & Im sure others will pitch in.

My own preference is to keep one plate spinning really well. We are all different though. Variety is the spice of life, but too much spice can give you a nasty stomach ulcer.

• Like 2

Yeah well I do intend to drop the landscaping but keep fencing,  and add trees. 

Biggest thing for me is that landscaping is an utter nightmare in the rain where as fences, though not easy, are doable, as is hedge and tree work. 

Also my vehicle set up might transfer over quite nicely. I have twin rear wheel 3.0 iveco daily van and tow a 3.5 ton 3 way caged tipper with 3.5 tons ramps stowed underneath. I can move quite a lots of waste compared to the average 3.5 toner and the van is racked out already with hedge cutters, saws, all sorts of tools etc. 

I do have this niggling doubt but I'm gonna go for it. Proclimber do some 100ft trees in the training if you want to give it a go so I guess I'll soon see what's what....

Cheers

And yeah I think it is worth investing in x to get y.

Currently I just de registered from VAT because I was running a team and finding I was having to work all week, and do quotes and send emails in evening and half the weekend for not great money so I let them go. The margins for landscaping are too tight with VAT unless you've won the chelsea flowering show and cater to high end. Trees is FAR fewer materials so alone I can earn more before hitting the threshold but if I do hit the threshold it's not so bad when you're putting the hire on for chipper and billing yourself out as a tree surgeon. 

It's a risk but I'm a determined person, I think I can do it. 

As you are 40 with a business to run it will probably be a waste of money as you will not push urself like someone who is trying to feed themselves, but I think you should do it with the intention of gaining a greater understanding of the industry.

Thereafter you can take on tree jobs (which you will probably under price)employ subbie climbers and have a better understanding of the job!

This being said I do get a lot of jobs where they want Fencing, landscaping and tree works which you might now feel confident to take on!

Happy new year