How long will I be dragging brush before getting to climb?

Shooter

Its a right of passage most of us have been through one way or another.  Bottom line is, despite all your tickets all you will be doing in the early stages is holding up the job and costing the employer money.  
I barely climbed at all for the first couple of years of my employment.  I would get sent up the odd tree here and there as time allowed, which just makes the learning process even longer.

My employer subbed me out to another firm 2 years in, and that is when my climbing really kicked up a notch.  I was thrown in at the deep end a little, and had no one to fall back on so simply had to perform..sink or swim.  Simillar to Stevie Blair really except I was thrown into it rather than throwing myself into it.

• Like 1

I never did the brash dragging part.

I bought a harness and spikes and went and played after work and every opportunity I could, even in the dark. I asked a farmer if I could cut the over hanging branches around his fields for nothing, he said yes.

I applied for a job as a climber and lied, never had any tickets I did admit that.

Don't wait for others to dictate you future! Speak up, you might not like the truth from your boss, he may say you aren't good enough and doesn't want the risk. It's not easy being a small company and letting guys practice slowly on a priced job.

Good luck!

I'm trying to install this exact ethos into my kids at present... Grab life by the balls do whatever you want.

The world is a selfish place very rarely do you find someone who is out for you these days.

When i started landscaping at 15 I worked for an old school fella called Arthur and every job was about him showing me exactly what I needed to know to go on and be competent in all aspects of landscaping. I try to do the same but in recent years I have lost faith in people. Everyone seems to be out for themselves and their own pocket.

I know alot of you will likely disagree mainly the business owners but this is my view. congratulations to you if you still have the time to show the yoof the ropes.

Rant over [emoji16] [emoji16]

• Like 1

I had a similar problem. I paid for all my own tickets and bought all my own kit. I qualified in August and my previous employer was reluctant to get me climbing. If you are confident in your own ability, do what I did and go subbieing. I'm always climbing now and on a good wage. The main thing I found is always be safe. Nobody can rush you and cause you to be in an unsafe predicament

• Like 1

I am going the deep end cowboy route as well, from necessity rather than inclination. Climbed and worked on 8 - 9 trees now, still trying to arrange training courses to get qualified. In the works but distance and other unforseen events causing delays. The trees that need to be climbed are not the kind of trees you would want to climb for fun, that's for sure. Get nixers, do jobs for friends. If you have tickets then there's nothing stopping you (except H&S req. Second climber on site) just take your time and be careful. I find I learn perfectly well working on my own in my own time, without having someone at my shoulder interfering. Make embarrassing mistakes, recover, figure out the right way forward. But with this job there is no room for error...as Reg Coats said, especially if you are alone. Learn to visualise forces and predict outcomes. Best of luck.

I dragged brash for bloody ages! I'd get sent up the odd backyard conifer but then I moved to a company where the foreman and the lead climber took me under their wing, they had 50 years climbing between them and the knowledge they passed on to me was invaluable. 25 years climbing experience can never be taught in a college.

Mr Blair has it right, make climbing opportunities for yourself or find a company who will invest in your climbing time, but remember, there's climbers in these companies who worked their way up the tree by dragging brash just like you are now.

• Like 1

Spent a good year on the ground then another going up in lunch breaks , after work and begging all the time... your time will come just don’t look at it as that’s all your doing and every time your in the drop zone and clearing keep an eye on what the climbers doing and pick up on things especially the bad bits and think I would of easily gone out further or not done that and smashed that fence... if you have the pleasure of watching a good climber soak it all up and learn.. don’t just stand there thinking ffs all I ever do is drag branches... even dragging branches has its merits you quickly learn how if you where a climber how cutting in certain ways makes every ones life on the ground easier and can speed the job up. 

• Like 7

14 hours ago, Shooter said:

I'm pretty new to he industry.  I have all my tickets but am not really getting the opportunity to climb much.  I realise theres a pecking order but I sometimes wonder if I am just being taken advantage of and if I will ever be giving the chance.  I have climbed twice in about 6 months.  Is it time to move on?

If you are getting paid a fair wage, you aren't being taken advantage of.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, felixthelogchopper said:

If you are getting paid a fair wage, you aren't being taken advantage of.

:confused1:

But....

What about the continuum of exploitation of members of the working class who work for the same wage or salary despite the fact that their tenured collective contributions in the business generate more than enough profit resulting in surplus value? 

The capitalist would not readily give an equal share of profits due to self-interest.

Under capitalism, and specifically through property rights, the capitalist has the exclusive rights to the profit and surplus value generated by his or her labourers....

(tongue in cheek.....:D)

Edited by kevinjohnsonmbe