Back up bridge

stihlmadasever

not done a really big reduction, but imagine you'd struggle to find something you can trust on the end of a long lateral, cut through your climb line then and the amount of leverage between there and the trunk....

yes in that situation then it might not hold, i dont tend to do many light reductions!

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi all,I was wondering if any of you climbers put a back up bridge on your harness.Ive seen more and more climbers do it.I have a treemotion and it would be easy to fit.

It would be removed for loler and only a back up incase the bridge got cut or badly nicked.

Thoughts..

Thank you

I would like to know who are doing this as I have never met anyone that would have thought of backing up their bridge. Is it the new generation of social media tree surgeon?

I think a sheathed wire rope backup, slightly looser than the main bridge, so there is never any friction to speak of on it, would work perfectly. It would run parallel with the main dyneema bridge. If you wanted a one-stop no nonsense bridge, a curved stainless steel rod could replace the dyneema, still allow for twisting body movement and be indestructible. Now would have to replace the aluminium ring with steel though, probably.

invents-the-indestructible.jpg.ff983b6a7e2a8c8754abfecd040994ae.jpg

I would like to know who are doing this as I have never met anyone that would have thought of backing up their bridge. Is it the new generation of social media tree surgeon?

I'll admit that I did when I got my first floating bridge, after many many years of a carabiner single point attachment. Initially, I lacked trust in the integrity of the bridge and added a rope bridge -for about two days!

While we're re-inventing the wheel, I'd like to present my idea for new chainsaw PPE. This will allow one-handed chainsaw use - solving that issue.

Admittedly, tree climbing and general movement may be a bit of a problem!

59767248e08fc_csprotection.jpg.3752b9840137beca71eb0e8e50f8d728.jpg

yes in that situation then it might not hold, i dont tend to do many light reductions!

I used to do a lot of fine reductions where my lanyard would never of been an acceptable secondary tie in point, I only used it as a work positioning aid to allow me to cut with both hands and prevent pendulum swing.

Subsequently my whole thought process around climbing is that my lanyard is a positioning aid only. Also consider the standards lanyard devices are built to, Art Positioner is a good example would you ever use this as a primary climbing device? Side D's are also not suitable primary attachment points, to me the concept of a lanyard is not based around being a suitable second life line and is purely a supplementary anchor.

This is not to say I am right it's just my thought process and it's served me well.