Customers who drag payment out

simonm

We turn up on time to price jobs, turn up on time to do the work clear up and i like to think we give a good service so why do customers insist on dragging payment out :sneaky2: latest 1 is an oldish woman who lives a 2 min drive from me, did everything i said we would cleared up and when it comes to payment....nothing! i hate when you have to ask them to pay you after you have finished, she dodged the question twice then said when i give her an invoice she will put a cheque through my letterbox :sneaky2: that was 4 days ago wtf :thumbdown: in total we have 11 grand outstanding! its a joke.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 days!

Don't get into commercial work. Anything between 30 and 90 days is the norm.

We do commercial stuff too and 30-90 days is fine as this is made clear before we take on the work, its folk who have known for 4 weeks that we are coming and recon they have not had time to go to the bank and then take another week to do a bank transfer they can do in their living room :thumbdown:

Make sure your payment terms are clear in your T&Cs when you give a written quote and apply them firmly. You can state that payments made late will be subject to a %age increase (as long as it is reasonable). At least that way, if they make you wait then it costs them. :sneaky2:

How do you actually enforce it though? surely a solicitors letter is going to cost.

How do you actually enforce it though? surely a solicitors letter is going to cost.

You can do a Small Claims Court application yourself. Just send a reminder for payment stating that failure to pay will result in you taking them to court for it with a time limit that you will find on the website. Stick to what the website tells you and don't forget that you are allowed to claim reasonable expenses relevant to your claim ie the cost of application, postage and phone calls etc. :001_smile:

err not sure about late payment what about underpayments?..

went to the shop for a pack of backy last week and was asked if I'd move a bit of their crap from upstairs..

obviously seen my pickup an all.. loaded up first load an told her I wanted sixty quid, "knowing they like to haggle I'd of settled for fifty at a push..

Anyways, she pulled her face a bit then said she'd settle when the job was done..

two more loads over the next few days, then payment time..

Her son pops out with forty quid.....

WTF is that I say!!!..

Oh she says, I am getting divorce, he useless, don't do nothing. leave me in a right mess...

You good man, you understand!!!..

Oh well, what can you do, some you win, some you lose...

Next time I go to the shop for some backy, I'm goin on my bike...

err not sure about late payment what about underpayments?..

went to the shop for a pack of backy last week and was asked if I'd move a bit of their crap from upstairs..

obviously seen my pickup an all.. loaded up first load an told her I wanted sixty quid, "knowing they like to haggle I'd of settled for fifty at a push..

Anyways, she pulled her face a bit then said she'd settle when the job was done..

two more loads over the next few days, then payment time..

Her son pops out with forty quid.....

WTF is that I say!!!..

Oh she says, I am getting divorce, he useless, don't do nothing. leave me in a right mess...

You good man, you understand!!!..

Oh well, what can you do, some you win, some you lose...

Next time I go to the shop for some backy, I'm goin on my bike...

The answer is to stop smoking