Pick-up speed limits

kevinjohnsonmbe

13 hours ago, Tom D said:

The experimental speed limit for HGV's on the A9 is taking them up from 40mph to 50. this was because they were holding everyone up and no one dared to overtake. 

All HGV (LGV) can already do 50 on all single carriage way national speed limit roads.

2 hours ago, nepia said:

Justme; is this right?  Previous threads and your excellent posted article yesterday says no I think...  For the purpose of all speed limits I treat my Navara as a car.

Only IF over the 2040kg weight limit.

34 minutes ago, Justme said:

Doh.

Sadly my internal list of all the roads in the country had that road missing.

It's a "9" road so of course it's north of the border!

With the old "gatso" cameras on the A9 you would be fine going past in a van if you stuck to the car speed limits, as it couldn't tell it was a van. Then one night about 2am I got flashed by the one near Balir Atholl, I was doing 60mph on the nose as normal, but was overtaking an artic, and towing a box trailer, which obviously upset it, and I got my ticket in the post! hmmph!

The only problem now with the average speed cameras and the HGV 50mph "trial", if you do about 50mph in a van, you will get a lorry driving 2ft off your back bumper, as his tacho says you are only doing 47mph 9_9

Given the choice, I now avoid the road, 100 miles of average speed cameras (at mainly 50mph) is too much like hard work!!

2 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

By your vehicles speedo?

Probably <60 really, as the lorry would know (are tacho GPS?)

my Hilux speedo reads well under what GPS on dash cam shows. 

So does my van. 4 mph difference between speedo and GPS at 60 mph.