Pick-up speed limits

kevinjohnsonmbe

16 hours ago, nepia said:

Justme; is this right?  Previous threads and your excellent posted article yesterday says no I think...  For the purpose of all speed limits I treat my Navara as a car.

I tink it's only single cab pickups that are restricted to this Nepia,  double cabs afaik are same as a domestic car?

3 hours ago, wicklamulla said:

I tink it's only single cab pickups that are restricted to this Nepia,  double cabs afaik are same as a domestic car?

If they meet ALL the qualifying criteria for DPV (and it's the maximum weight question which started the whole discussion) They must also have a second row of seats, rear windows etc, so (loosely) twin cabs are DPV and single cabs not.  But, the twin cabs keep getting heavier and it's almost impossible to get a stock answer as to what the weight is because everyone seems to be using a different metric to measure it. 

11 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

By your vehicles speedo?

Probably <60 really, as the lorry would know (are tacho GPS?)

my Hilux speedo reads well under what GPS on dash cam shows. 

No this was an old van which had a tacho, therefore calibrated, the ticket came through with 60mph which is what the speedo was showing

3 hours ago, Daniël Bos said:

That's a fair bit, over 10%!

Have you perhaps got a wheel/tyre setup that's different than standard?

That was a question I put to the (less than knowledgable / honest) dealership shortly after purchase.  Something is out.  

I wondered if (as I thought) the Invincible gets the larger diameter wheels as part of the spec-up, it had an effect on the speedo.  Asked the dealer, They had nothing more than the "as long as it's under and within the variances, it's not a problem."

I didn't buy it, along with the other, what I thought were, fairly straight forward questions which resulted in the sort of answers that one wouldn't expect from a professional and knowledgeable product supplier.  

This whole thread, back at the beginning, came about because I couldn't seem to get any reliable, honest answers from the dealership.

The net result is that I think the dealership that supplied my vehicle are either amateur or FOS! 

7 hours ago, wicklamulla said:

Complicateder and complicateder.  Thanks Ken.  Justme replied yesterday somewhere saying that I was a car as long as I didn't exceed the magic 2040kg.

What's that?  Unladen weight I guess. But where do I find it?  Not on the V5, not in the handbook, not on the plate on the leading edge of the driver's door...

22 minutes ago, nepia said:

Complicateder and complicateder.  Thanks Ken.  Justme replied yesterday somewhere saying that I was a car as long as I didn't exceed the magic 2040kg.

What's that?  Unladen weight I guess. But where do I find it?  Not on the V5, not in the handbook, not on the plate on the leading edge of the driver's door...

:D Try page 1 of the thread and read until you either (a) top yourself (b) give up ( c) die of old age!  

PS - you won't find the answer either.....  It's due to be added to this list:  http://www.futuristspeaker.com/future-scenarios/10-unanswerable-questions-that-neither-science-nor-religion-can-answer/

2 hours ago, nepia said:

Log books (V5c) now have "mass in service" but that is sightly different to kerb / unladen weight.

Its all a bit of a mess to be honest.

9 minutes ago, Justme said:

Log books (V5c) now have "mass in service" but that is sightly different to kerb / unladen weight.

Its all a bit of a mess to be honest.

I'll say!  The only weight shown on my 2011 V5c is Revenue weight; the Mass in service weight is blank, along with most of the form!

So I know how much I can weight loaded but not how little I do weigh empty!

I'll carry on treating it like a car then, especially as it's a King cab.

• 4 weeks later...

Having driven the 100 mile stretch of the A9 with all the average speed cameras (Dunblane to Inverness) whilst adhering to car (60/70/70) speed limits I said I would report back on whether I heard back from the Constabulary. As that was more than four weeks ago I presume I can now be confident that I will not be hearing from them. However, in the latest Hilux Invincible I will in future keep to 50/60/70. Here is why:

The issue of course is that the latest, heavier (dual cab) pickups now exceed 2040 kg unladen weight. Although they may qualify for all the other Dual Purpose Vehicle criteria, if they are more than 2040 kg then, as Kevin has prepared us, some of us have to face 50/60/70 speed limits. 

Up thread there was some discussion about working out the unladen weight from the only figure given in recent registration documents, the Mass in Service. I contacted the West Yorkshire Police advice service and was advised:

“You cannot convert mass in service to unladen weight. If the vehicle's unladen weight is not shown in your vehicle's handbook, you will need to contact the manufacturer - they will be able to tell you what the vehicle's unladen weight is, we would suggest you get a copy of this in writing. The legal definitions in relation to vehicles for speed limit purposes are very clear and precise and used to enforce the speed limit legislation”

—————

Concerning the 2016 models, there was a useful article in Professional Pickup and 4x4 that specified which pickups are not DPVs: 

Affected pickups*

Ford Ranger

Toyota Hilux review

Volkswagen Amarok

*Not all derivatives are affected; usually only the high-spec models.

Unaffected pickups

Mitsubishi L200

Nissan NP300 Navara

Isuzu D-Max

Great Wall Steed

SsangYong Korando Sports

http://pickupand4x4.co.uk/know-your-limits

That said I know of one Mitsubushi dealership that said that the top spec Barbarian L200 is also more than 2040 kg, despite the aluminium engine.

If the Navara and D-Max are sneaking under the 60/70/70 bar then that ought to be quite a positive selling point - as you speed past those of us chugging along at 50 mph. 

If you think your dual cab pickup is a DPV (i.e. < 2040 kg ULW) then you would do well to follow the advice of West Yorkshire police, be able to defend yourself by getting the unladen weight in writing from the manufacturer. After all, on the first page of this thread rovers90 said:

“I attended a speed awareness course in June and they made a point of stressing pick ups were limited to 50 on a single carriageway, 60 on a dual and 70 on the motorway.” For many of you, that will not be correct.

Given the difficulty of getting a manufacturer to state ULWs, it would be helpful to share definitive answers on this thread?

• Like 1