Pick-up speed limits

kevinjohnsonmbe

2 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

I never got a definitive answer from Toyota, or from the many and varied contributions here....

If you think I have advised wrongly please say where.

Obviously, the theory falls over when speed cameras are brought into the equation but they seem to be dominant on A & M roads which I rarely use :lol:

There seems little chance the cameras will have a database they can check and as even the V5s don't necessarily give an indication it's only likely to be when something flags up and further checks made.

Anyway you were responding to the DPV bit I was querying the car derived van bit. There are two separate bits of legislation and the DPV bit seems to be an anachronism from the days of imperial units, the 2040kg rule for them is derived from a ton. The 2000kg car derived van bit is from the tonne.

Edited by openspaceman
ton not tonne

4 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

f you think I have advised wrongly please say where.

No mate, not at all! I was referring/ reflecting on the situation that gave rise to the origin of the thread, not any specific contribution you made. Didn’t mean to give that impression. 

The definitions of what a DPV is is reasonably easy to define, getting a definitive weight answer from the manufacturer (in a usable / transferable format) is what I’ve given up on. 

Looking back, and considering all the contributions, I’m happy to accept that if I can’t figure it out definitively, perhaps plod / VOSA might have better things to occupy themselves with as well!

1 hour ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

N

The definitions of what a DPV is is reasonably easy to define, getting a definitive weight answer from the manufacturer (in a usable / transferable format) is what I’ve given up on. 

I just weighed my 110  and that was good enough but I can see the difficulty if you have a 4wd pickup and canopy and get asked to prove it has an unladen weight under 2040kg, similarly I can understand a manufacturer being a bit coy. I wonder if it is UK specific?

6 hours ago, openspaceman said:

Only if under 2000kg.

A similar car over 2000kg is not affected

the point being a 7 seater disco is 2.7 tons. Car speed limits.

2 seater disco with rear window blanked 2.7tons. 

so the crucial deciding factor is windows....

5 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

I never got a definitive answer from Toyota, or from the many and varied contributions here....

I just rely upon the Tory scum decimation of public services to reduce the number of traffic police to a point where it's unlikely, on balance, that I'd get a ticket on the rare occasions I put my boot down.

Obviously, the theory falls over when speed cameras are brought into the equation but they seem to be dominant on A & M roads which I rarely use :lol:

Headache returns...... 

by decimation you mean country has no cash is borrowing a stack every month to balance the current account.

So your choice is jack taxes up to cover the gap and then some if you want to spend more than now as you seem to want.

Which taxes you going to jack up then ?

Typical labour muppet.

5 minutes ago, donnk said:

by decimation you mean country has no cash is borrowing a stack every month to balance the current account.

So your choice is jack taxes up to cover the gap and then some if you want to spend more than now as you seem to want.

Which taxes you going to jack up then ?

Typical labour muppet.

:lol:

I think I agree, but don't really know what the question was.....  :lol:

Is this in the wrong thread?

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, donnk said:

the point being a 7 seater disco is 2.7 tons. Car speed limits.

2 seater disco with rear window blanked 2.7tons. 

so the crucial deciding factor is windows....

Yes I think so but your post to which I responded suggested otherwise.

I'm guessing the only advantage in buying a Discovery commercial (I didn't realise these were still available) would be to recover the VAT.

All in all you would be better off keeping the windows and plating them on the inside for security.