Lombardy Fell Incident

scotspine1

A total disaster indeed and about as close as you can get to killing someone, that guy in the cap was so very very close to being splatterbonged into the pavement.

IMO there is no margin for error if felling a tree like that with those targets, you need to be 100% sure it will go the right way. You can stop all the pedestrians and vehicles you like but you cant stop someone walking out of their front door right into that.

No doubt a good video to watch as there are plenty of people out there who think once you have a truck/tractor pulling a tree it will go the right way no matter what, there are, ive worked with them.

No doubt a good video to watch as there are plenty of people out there who think once you have a truck/tractor pulling a tree it will go the right way no matter what, there are, ive worked with them.

Very true.

A couple of years ago we had 4 large elm along a fence line, all leaning into the field to varying degrees and all but one of them presenting some sort of decay at the base. Three out of the four went the right way with the tirfor, but the fourth didn't. Even with the line on it it swung nearly 90 degrees round and took out a short section of fence (the landowner had no issue with it and we put a gate in there, to aid future forestry ops). 4ft diameter elm, with a 3ft hollow in the middle.

The point is that the only reason we attempted it was that we had no real targets. Given the circumstances and trees we were working with, 3 out of 4 was fairly good going. You just cannot approach tree surgery with that kind of mentality. You have to be absolutely certain that it will go to plan or you cannot take on the job. There will always be someone more experienced, better qualified and simply better at felling than you. There is no shame in saying the job is beyond you and walking away.

Glad filming on phones ect was not common when I started

No one even barely had a phone:blushing:

I would like to see a factual investigation and a lot more background info such as why when and how

And pics ect of the stumps

Certainly looks like a few issues that when added together culminated in potentially a nastier ending

Hope we all discus with our colleagues to try to prevent similar potential occurrences

I'm no tree felling expert, but to have anyone in the template where it might fall, especially the general public, is completely unacceptable. The reality of this could have been the death of someone and a subsequent manslaughter charge followed by a jail term for those guilty! There is quite simply no excuse for cutting corners or increasing risk when basic public safety becomes compromised. If you choose to compromise your own safety to increase profit, then that is your choice, but to put others at risk is just irresponsible and you should expect to serve a jail term if you get it wrong.

Near misses such as this should be publicised so that others can learn from obvious mistakes. I come from an aviation background where such instances are encouraged to be reported upon. However, the open and honest reporting relies upon the fact that we all learn from the mistakes of others and they are not punished for their honesty. I'm sure the company concerned have learned from this as we all have. Thankfully nobody was hurt and we can use this as an educational training video. We all make mistakes in life, an 'to err is human'. We should all learn from this, remain humble, and move on.

SG

• Like 1

So true, I was one of them.

Years ago I splatterbonged a small footbridge with an ash due to sloppy cutting because I thought the 30 ton winch on the Unipower pulling it made me bulletproof.

Good thread Tim, I think we can all learn something from it.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

It's like something that should happen to Mr DIY whose just bought himself his first chainsaw!

But it's a real tree company😳😳😳, and on this thread other tree folk are saying "we can learn from this"😳😳😳😳😳😱

That's quite scary.

It's like something that should happen to Mr DIY whose just bought himself his first chainsaw!

But it's a real tree company, and on this thread other tree folk are saying "we can learn from this"

That's quite scary.

Have you never had anything go wrong in your entire career?

Have you never had a 'near miss'?

Have you never had anything go wrong in your entire career?

Have you never had a 'near miss'?

Of course we make mistakes, but a professional company (allegedly) pulling a shambles like that is unjustifiable. How can anyone watch that and say there is lessons to be learned?

At best it could be described as highly dangerous and extremely stupid.🙄