Lombardy Fell Incident

scotspine1

you would of come back on a day with favourable conditions... Not just for felling climbing also , lombardy is unlike black or hybrid in terms of its holding wood abilities it's even more brittle and twice as sail like so i think to any one who said they would of climbed it in those gusts has never done a big lombardy in heavy wind.

100% ...

Out on quotes today and there are firms (reputable ones) working for absolute peanuts. We can't and don't want to compete with these sort of prices. This has to be a factor in shortcuts being taken. Thankfully we're not short of work.

No wonder this sort of thing is happening.

You would of come back on a day with favourable conditions... Not just for felling climbing also , Lombardy is unlike black or hybrid in terms of its holding wood abilities it's even more brittle and twice as sail like so I think to any one who said they would of climbed it in those gusts has never done a big Lombardy in heavy wind.

Yes I accept that the wind could be questionable for that tree , but the point I am trying to make is.... I personally don't know one experienced faller that would have set that tree up to be felled like that in that situation, wind or no wind.

To get that tree on the floor safely it needs a pull line installing and attaching to a vehicle, it needs a gob putting in, a back cut and a bit of a tug.

Now in my mind that would take the same amount of time to do whatever angle you put it at and whichever angle you pulled it at, the only thing that would have taken slightly more time is gobbing at ground level which should have happened.

It honestly makes no sense to me to be pulling a tree like that when the moment you start pulling you are instantly lifting the holding wood that you need to maintain to prevent it breaking out. The tree was helped on its way with the pull at that angle, to me that is just lack of experience.

The tree was helped on its way with the pull at that angle

I`m not in the trade & no expert but that`s what I was thinking ....

That old fella walking towards it was so cool, even although he was about five seconds from being a statistic & just turned & walked the other way! ... nobody even went to see if he was ok! :thumbdown:

Out on quotes today and there are firms (reputable ones) working for absolute peanuts. We can't and don't want to compete with these sort of prices. This has to be a factor in shortcuts being taken. Thankfully we're not short of work.

No wonder this sort of thing is happening.

You can't go around here saying that.

'It's all the market can stand':001_rolleyes:

Yes I accept that the wind could be questionable for that tree , but the point I am trying to make is.... I personally don't know one experienced faller that would have set that tree up to be felled like that in that situation, wind or no wind.

To get that tree on the floor safely it needs a pull line installing and attaching to a vehicle, it needs a gob putting in, a back cut and a bit of a tug.

Now in my mind that would take the same amount of time to do whatever angle you put it at and whichever angle you pulled it at, the only thing that would have taken slightly more time is gobbing at ground level which should have happened.

It honestly makes no sense to me to be pulling a tree like that when the moment you start pulling you are instantly lifting the holding wood that you need to maintain to prevent it breaking out. The tree was helped on its way with the pull at that angle, to me that is just lack of experience.

Not sure what your getting at ? I don't think there was any holding wood left for maybe three reasons the most likely being the cutter messed up and did not leave an adequate hinge which should of been huge imo for the conditions and circumstances.

Also very possibly is hornet moth larvae had turned the tree to mush I know of avenues of Lombards like this in east anglia where the only thing holding them up is inches in places of Cambial wood and possibly why he was felling high.

Lastly the wind just tore it off being Lombardy is brittle or most likely a combination of all 3.

I did try and point out the truck driver at fault as I have seen in heavy winds the need to keep pulling not pull a couple of feet and stop so the wind takes over as the hinge gets weaker to almost redundant as soon as the tree tips past a point with wind pushing it from the side it is almost certain to have an effect on how long it's going to travel in the intended path.

To be honest I think being an arm chair critic watching and commenting on a phone when I can barley see what is going on as fair as obviously the conditions and tree can not be judged properly at all.

But what I do know of working as a production climber and cutter is very stupid things have been done to meet targets and deadlines , I'm glad now I don't have to make x amount a day on a underpriced cut to the bone contract for a crap wage for a thankless boss and all the stress that goes with it...