Bars for forestry

steve collins

Nobody mentioned Stihl bars yet? I love them...but I haven't tried the Japanese bars yet...The 12'' (actually 14) on my pole saw gets proper abuse, jammed and twisted, Ive seen it bend at like a 30 degree angle, always comes out fine, like its springy steel or something. Bent a couple of Oregon bars over the years, annoyed me, partly the reason I went all Stihl.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been following this thread with interest,I did not know there were so many different bars on the market. As a complete novice why do you use some of the less well know makes of bar,and do the bar makers make there own chain to be used on there bars?

Why is the bar a big issue as I would have thought the quality of chain(steel used in the chain)would make the biggest difference to cutting speed?

As I said I am a complete novice so excuse the seemingly basic questions !!!

I have been following this thread with interest,I did not know there were so many different bars on the market. As a complete novice why do you use some of the less well know makes of bar,and do the bar makers make there own chain to be used on there bars?

Why is the bar a big issue as I would have thought the quality of chain(steel used in the chain)would make the biggest difference to cutting speed?

The Sugi bars are made from a harder steel than standard bars, they don't burr over and need dressing often, if at all so you save time on maintenance when running the saws all day everyday.

They are also stiffer and lighter.

Looking to change all the saws to one size of chain to 3/8 prefer sthil chain and a stiffer bar the origin and husky bars flex too much in the stuff we are doing could be costly though 4x560xp + 4x261

Fed up with all the different types of chain and bars being carried around

Sent from my D5803 using Arbtalk mobile app

I was thinking this a popualar route to go down - although it was .325 .063 - so we got a fair few of the Husky bars in .325 .063 so that then you would only be running one chain - but very very few takers (and even then 40% of those had bought the .063 version by accident! :001_huh:

Not sure now can face ordering in the 3/8 .063 for Husky (in the smaller K095 mount)!

Some good points here.

Chain making to do it right is very costly and difficult to get right. Sugihara have started making their own chain and from what they told me it has been a lot lot harder than they originally thought!

On the whole the independant bar makers have their hands full making bars. It is a whole new direction to try and make chain.

Differences in bars are subtle - weights are different/stiffness/durability/looks/'feel'

Differences in chain are much larger - but if you have what is the best chain for you and your saw - the next thing to look at to improve performance is the bar.

It's not that applicable to a home user - but for those using a saw each day those subtle differences in what bar you use can make a difference.