Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

8 minutes ago, Hodge said:

Well the peas, carrots and green beans that are frozen that we use are fine so I can't see what you are on about there good old birds eye......And the fish fingers aren't that bad, no red on the label.....once a week for a quick meal are fine. My Grandad had a saying everything in moderation......he lived to 96.

Yes, once a week, but can, would you want to do it everyday? And I doubt you could do it for 30 pence, don't forget where this post started!

Your Grandad was correct, everything in moderation, including moderation!

Edited by eggsarascal

So….. read the last 15 or so related and debated posts and think its probably not achievable to sustain a daily healthy diet for 30p a meal. Not to say a 30p meal isn’t achievable as pointed out above, but it will be shite.
I’ve just cooked off some peas and sweetcorn, made a tuna and crab mayo mix and introduced the lot to a medium sized bowl. Two tins of lidl’s finest tuna, a tin of kingfisher white crab meat, handsome dollop of full fat hellmans mayo, a dash of Asda’s full fat salad creme and mixed in with peas and sweetcorn. This will be used on two teacakes for tomorrow with some salad leaves, cherry tomatos and slices of cucumber. Quantity wise of what i’ve just mixed up i’ll get three days out of it, so…. I rekon it has cost me £7 ish for all fresh bought stuff, over three days, £2.33 a day. That good or bad? 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

They key to healthy, (and relatively cheap), food is to avoid anything that's been too highly processed. Fresh picked produce being at one end of the scale and UPF, (Ultra Processed Food) at the other.
Peas and other frozen veg have been minimally processed; harvested and then flash frozen, so retain most of the nutrition. Plus they've not had a load of unrecognisable chemical crap added to them by unscrupulous manufacturers to "add value" to the product.
One problem is that many people have lost the appetite, culinary knowledge and time, for such simple fare. Another is that the food industry has been allowed to develop and aggressively sell the alternative overly processed junk to those people, no doubt aided and abetted by governments. Which lead to the other is a chicken and egg type question.

• Like 2

So….. read the last 15 or so related and debated posts and think its probably not achievable to sustain a daily healthy diet for 30p a meal. Not to say a 30p meal isn’t achievable as pointed out above, but it will be shite.
I’ve just cooked off some peas and sweetcorn, made a tuna and crab mayo mix and introduced the lot to a medium sized bowl. Two tins of lidl’s finest tuna, a tin of kingfisher white crab meat, handsome dollop of full fat hellmans mayo, a dash of Asda’s full fat salad creme and mixed in with peas and sweetcorn. This will be used on two teacakes for tomorrow with some salad leaves, cherry tomatos and slices of cucumber. Quantity wise of what i’ve just mixed up i’ll get three days out of it, so…. I rekon it has cost me £7 ish for all fresh bought stuff, over three days, £2.33 a day. That good or bad? 🤷‍♂️

Oh yeah, I forgot the original point of the debate.
I agree; 30p meals would be possible but not at all sustainable from a health perspective.
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

By eating the way i suggest above.

by keeping Chickens.

By growing a veg plot/box

Bt turning the heating off and doubling up on clothing. 

By getting an education 

By getting a second or 3rd job. 

by cutting out booze and fags

by keeping their legs closed

countless ways really. 

maybe getting a job in the first place oh that will mean losing benefits 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

Explain your above comment then?

schools have a budget to provide meals at about the 30p mark which they achieve for a 2 Corse though the custard is a bit watery  and most of it is cooked from fresh produce

what the MP was stating is about right cook from scratch and save money    

• Like 1