Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

The offshore substation topside for Dogger Bank A, the first of the three 1.2 GW phases of the UK's...

We keep hearing day after day about people needing help and more benefits from the government yet the silence over the lack of UK workforce involvement in the current wind farm free for all is deafening. Billions of pounds being spent on what is a guaranteed good earner for mainly foreign owned companies. Foreign flagged and crewed vessels installing overseas manufactured eqpt 😡😡.  The tens of thousands of highly paid skilled jobs that could be created  carrying out this work in the UK just doesn’t seem to make the news at all. I guess we’ve been too busy worrying about covid or bloody monkey pox etc. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Johnsond said:

The offshore substation topside for Dogger Bank A, the first of the three 1.2 GW phases of the UK's...

We keep hearing day after day about people needing help and more benefits from the government yet the silence over the lack of UK workforce involvement in the current wind farm free for all is deafening. Billions of pounds being spent on what is a guaranteed good earner for mainly foreign owned companies. Foreign flagged and crewed vessels installing overseas manufactured eqpt 😡😡.  The tens of thousands of highly paid skilled jobs that could be created  carrying out this work in the UK just doesn’t seem to make the news at all. I guess we’ve been too busy worrying about covid or bloody monkey pox etc. 

Its down to simple economics.

It is cheaper to design, manufacture, ship and install using foreign labour than invest in our own workforce and infrastructure, our government simply wants cheap with maximum profit, they have no interest in the long term benefit to the UK, just short term gain for their term in office, same shit whoever happens to be in power.

We can’t keep buying cheap products made in the Far East and then complain about the loss of our own manufacturing industry.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, 5thelement said:

Its down to simple economics.

It is cheaper to design, manufacture, ship and install using foreign labour than invest in our own workforce and infrastructure, our government simply wants cheap with maximum profit, they have no interest in the long term benefit to the UK, just short term gain for their term in office, same shit whoever happens to be in power.

We can’t keep buying cheap products made in the Far East and then complain about the loss of our own manufacturing industry.

Sadly a lot of what you say is true and having seen the workforce accommodation and rotations at lamprells Dubai for example I’m well aware how and why they do it. But the free pass given about this is infuriating especially compared to for example the  partygate bollocks  and how much press it gets. I make a conscious effort not to buy tat in particular tat manufactured in the Far East. We need a long term plan not as you say one that gets them to the next election, unfortunately I just don’t think we have the political characters or business leaders in place to come up with one. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Johnsond said:

Sadly a lot of what you say is true and having seen the workforce accommodation and rotations at lamprells Dubai for example I’m well aware how and why they do it. But the free pass given about this is infuriating especially compared to for example the  partygate bollocks  and how much press it gets. I make a conscious effort not to buy tat in particular tat manufactured in the Far East. We need a long term plan not as you say one that gets them to the next election, unfortunately I just don’t think we have the political characters or business leaders in place to come up with one. 

The Green Energy frenzy, certainly wind power, is just as buoyant here in France.

I haven’t looked too much into it but I would assume the turbines are produced and shipped using the same cheap workforces as the UK ones do.
The main difference I see here are French men are doing the installation with French companies, French energy company logos on the finished turbines, putting energy into the French grid and sold to the masses at a capped and far lower rate per unit than in the UK.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 5thelement said:

The Green Energy frenzy, certainly wind power, is just as buoyant here in France.

I haven’t looked too much into it but I would assume the turbines are produced and shipped using the same cheap workforces as the UK ones do.
The main difference I see here are French men are doing the installation with French companies, French energy company logos on the finished turbines, putting energy into the French grid and sold to the masses at a capped and far lower rate per unit than in the UK.

The French energy companies are already big players in the UK renewable market. They are certainly not in it for charitable reasons. It’s basically a licence to extract billions from the end users ie UK consumers. 

1 minute ago, Johnsond said:

The French energy companies are already big players in the UK renewable market. They are certainly not in it for charitable reasons. It’s basically a licence to extract billions from the end users ie UK consumers. 

The French government invests massively  in the UK due to the shortsightedness of successive UK governments.

A few years back I was crossing the Severn Bridge with an Italian guy, he asked me who received the toll payment, England or Wales?

I didn’t know so I asked the guy in the pay booth, his reply, France?

They footed the bill for its construction, take the revenue and pay peppercorn rent to England/Wales, and we haven’t even started on the foreign ownership of the UK train network operators!!!

• Like 3