Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

Just now, Mull said:

Talking of a broken recordemoji849.png

A Tory vote in Scotland is not as unimaginable as it once was.

Anyway, I’m away to wait on Oddbins to open.

Unimaginable? The Tories have steadily been increasing in popularity in Scotland. They've taken the second spot off of Labour and all but wiped both Labour and the Lib Dems off the Map. 

Where we to see an increase in votes for the Tories come May and Sturgeon out on her arse then hopefully the broken record of Indi2 and re-joining the EU will be a dead duck. 

With some adults in change we'd maybe see Scotland start to prosper again and higher rate of tax we see here than there is in the rest of the UK will be addressed as its nothing more than pandering to the poor.

• Like 1

WWW.THISISMONEY.CO.UK

The greener petrol is designed to cut vehicle emissions but will likely increase fuel bills slightly for owners of newer cars -...

Says E5 5% will still be around but doesn't 5% do damage just like the 10% E10 stuff?

Maybe only half as bad?

Edited by Stere

No sanctions for  mohammed  bone saw, mbs

WWW.BUSINESSINSIDER.COM

Other than being downgraded in the eyes of the US under Biden, it's unclear what other consequences, if any, MBS will...

The Biden administration will not sanction Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman over Jamal Khashoggi's murder in 2018 even though a declassified US intelligence assessment explicitly implicated him.

1 hour ago, trigger_andy said:

The SNP do not care about the Scottish people, they care only about remaining in power and with a high proportion of the Scottish people being poor, not paying tax and having a massive chip on their shoulders pandering to the lowest common denominator is the SNPs modus operandi.

Did I see somewhere this week, “Trainspotting” 25 years old?

See how things have ‘improved’ under how many years of SNP governance. 

• Haha 2

Just now, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Did I see somewhere this week, “Trainspotting” 25 years old?

See how things have ‘improved’ under how many years of SNP governance. 

Improved? Trainspottings soundtrack was bangin'! Have you seen the state of music today? :D Its all gone downhill I tell ya. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Stere said:
WWW.THISISMONEY.CO.UK

The greener petrol is designed to cut vehicle emissions but will likely increase fuel bills slightly for owners of newer cars -...

Says E5 5% will still be around but doesn't 5% do damage just like the 10% E10 stuff?

Maybe only half as bad?

Go back to last Thursday in this thread . Woodwizzard posted at 16:37 . There are some coments .

(Probably) well intentioned government strategic policy, incompetently executed by bungling quango provides huge financial benefit to exploitative land owner....

Who’d have ever thought such bungling could follow financial incentive to change behaviour. 

It’s almost a dead ringer for the FiT and RHI all over again...

WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Forestry Commission accused of funding non-native plantations that damage peatlands and imperil rare species

• Like 1

On 26/02/2021 at 20:27, Johnsond said:

So Mark 

As is common practice on here, can you tell us what you would you have the UK do ??. 
Totally agree in many ways but if 1 rogue state has Nuclear weapons then 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️. Shit as it is I think it would be MAD not to have it.

I don't know.
Given that the rest of the 'civilised' world has nukes too, it's a safe bet that if a 'Rogue State' did turn us back into atoms they would probably get blown to bits themselves, in the very near future.
We already have airframes that can deliver things at Mach 6. 
Trident is a waste of money.

Edited by Mark J
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

(Probably) well intentioned government strategic policy, incompetently executed by bungling quango provides huge financial benefit to exploitative land owner....

Who’d have ever thought such bungling could follow financial incentive to change behaviour. 

It’s almost a dead ringer for the FiT and RHI all over again...

WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Forestry Commission accused of funding non-native plantations that damage peatlands and imperil rare species

It's indicative of how shockingly low the new planting numbers are in England when I'm personally responsible for planting 1.29% of all new tree planting 😄 

We planted 30 hectares of eucalyptus plantation last year on arable land. 

I take the point that planting on deep peat is a bad idea, but the upland grasslands are a largely manmade creation. They are economically useless, have fairly limited biodiversity and would be much better off as plantation. 

The 70% one species rule from the Commission is not quite true, as it's rather easy to circumvent.

Regardless, the UK has a chronic shortage of timber. We keep installing huge CHP plants, as well as the lower level domestic and smaller scale commercial biomass plants. We have no where near enough construction grade timber to meet demand, and as such import 80% of our timber.

Timber plantations are simply farming. Long rotation, relatively low impact (on account of the infrequent harvesting intervals) farming. I do agree that current policy from the government allows for wealthy landowners to exploit the system, but that's more of an issue with the system than the landowners. You'd do the same if you were in that position.

And I'd personally much rather walk through an upland forest than a moorland.

• Like 1