Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

1 hour ago, the village idiot said:

The people I am most in favour of helping are those that are fleeing medieval mindsets. These people are hardly likely to turn into the very people they need to get away from in the first place.

So how does that work in practice then? You give them a questionnaire to fill in so they can "prove" they won't turn into psychopaths when they get to the UK? 

Stopping immigration will not stop terrorism. Increasingly people will become radicalised over the internet. 

It would seem reasonable that stopping immigration of the demographic behind terrorism will reduce terrorism.... You were saying in the quote above that immigrants wouldn't develop a "medieval mindset"? Now you're saying people can get radicalised over the Internet? Which is it? Will they develop a "European" outlook or will they drive a truck into a crowd after watching some YouTube videos?

As a side note. You only seem to focus on the deaths inflicted upon us by immigrants. As stated above, this is a devastating issue which needs to be solved by talking about the right things, but the number of deaths attributed to immigrants pales into almost insignificance when you consider the number of British lives that have been saved through the action of immigrants.

Terrorist deaths are the tip of the iceberg... Below that you have hundreds injured in terrorist attacks, thousands traumatised by terrorist attacks, thousands of girls "groomed", billions of pounds given to migrants. 

Anyway, you were saying the main benefit of immigration is for the immigrants themselves! Now you're saying the benefit is for the British because some immigrants work in the NHS! A fool can see for each immigrant doctor we get we also get a couple of hundred unskilled migrants that have nothing to offer.

Immigration and terrorism are very complicated problems. There are no simple solutions, however much you want there to be.

It's not a complicated issue. We should stop listening to the people that put us in this mess and listen to the people that have been warning us about immigration.

@Mull

(always think it’s a bit rude to say “at” someone, not intended as such, just read this and thought of my mate up in the islands)

Get past the “Daily Mail” phobia, I thought this was a great read.... Be really interested in yr thoughts Mull.  Really, I’m not “anti-farmer” as I think you may have formed such a view, it would be more accurate to say I am “anti modern farming methods and the intransigence of the majority of the farming sector (whilst simultaneously decrying the insufficient ‘free’ money that is showered on the sector whilst it destroys the natural wold and claims to be its custodian” loike.....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5640191/How-letting-Mother-Nature-reclaim-prime-farmland-produced-breathtaking-results.html

Absolutly excellent link kj.

I have been spouting about "benign neglect" this past 25 years.

And what nature will achieve, and so very quickly, if left alone.

As witnessed on our own peaty acres, mostly the hum of insect life, supporting numerous birds, that were not here when we purchased the acreage

But!

To no avail.

marcus

N.B.

Stonking grants on their 3500 acres I do not doubt.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, difflock said:

Absolutly excellent link kj.

I have been spouting about "benign neglect" this past 25 years.

And what nature will achieve, and so very quickly, if left alone.

As witnessed on our own peaty acres, mostly the hum of insect life, supporting numerous birds, that were not here when we purchased the acreage

But!

To no avail.

marcus

N.B.

Stonking grants on their 3500 acres I do not doubt.

Thought you’d like it Marcus! Might look that book up and add to the purchase list. 

A sharp observarion too, it (appears) to have worked because (a) they were brave and broke with convention and (b) appear to have effectively tapped funding opportunities- maybe the publicity & book are anchors from which they can secure and increase additional future funding? The whole “funding / grant” system is exploited to best effect by those that you play the system. Bhaaahhh!

• Like 1

[mention=37613]Mull[/mention]

(always think it’s a bit rude to say “at” someone, not intended as such, just read this and thought of my mate up in the islands)

Get past the “Daily Mail” phobia, I thought this was a great read.... Be really interested in yr thoughts Mull.  Really, I’m not “anti-farmer” as I think you may have formed such a view, it would be more accurate to say I am “anti modern farming methods and the intransigence of the majority of the farming sector (whilst simultaneously decrying the insufficient ‘free’ money that is showered on the sector whilst it destroys the natural wold and claims to be its custodian” loike.....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5640191/How-letting-Mother-Nature-reclaim-prime-farmland-produced-breathtaking-results.html

As I scanned it this morn, I was confused as to whether I was reading a newspaper article or reading poetry, Wordsworth could’ve written that!

Yes it certainly sounds wonderful, beautiful, idyllic, with the added bonus of the odd steak for Heston, if you can catch one of the cows.
The rest of us will just have to eat the nightingales[emoji848]
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mull said:

As I scanned it this morn, I was confused as to whether I was reading a newspaper article or reading poetry, Wordsworth could’ve written that!

Yes it certainly sounds wonderful, beautiful, idyllic, with the added bonus of the odd steak for Heston, if you can catch one of the cows.
The rest of us will just have to eat the nightingalesemoji848.png

:lol::lol:

• Like 1

P.S.

Nightingale stew  .  .  .

Reminds me that one summers night a few years ago, I was restless, not sleeping and heard a bird singing outside.

Not having heard such beautiful birdsong before I went outside(stark naked btw.) and listened enthralled.

When I came back in I searched on-line for such birdsong.

The only similar song was that of a Nightingale,

wow!

N Ireland is usually outside their range, but I remain convinced that is what it was.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Mull said:

The rest of us will just have to eat the nightingalesemoji848.png

Yea, I enjoyed reading that for the same reason..   some lines were beautifully put..  just a sample..

We walked for half an hour that morning parting curtains of butterflies..

The woman is a gifted writer if nothing else..

Who knows, if brexit takes off and we let hard economics rule the day then we should have many more acres going back to seed..  who'd want to pay European food prices when world prices are so much cheaper..

• Like 1