Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

Bit like all these nuclear plants, happily pouring the heat out to sea.

You've got places like Hartlepool in the middle of nowhere, dig a hole underground and glaze it level with the ground and grow as much as you like.

Guessing with LEDs these day it would be pretty low power.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, GarethM said:

Bit like all these nuclear plants, happily pouring the heat out to sea.

What about ****************ushima, pouring 100 tons of plutonium contaminated cooling water into the Pacific every day for the last 12 years.. the half life of which is 24.1 thousand years.

And it seems now they are just going to dump millions of tons of similar debris into the Pacific .. do we have a feckin say ??

The dots said ****************ushima before it was censored

It's a fecking joke when you can't say the truth.. 

Edited by Macpherson

32 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

Drax is one of a few, go out on the fens and look at the derelict glasshouses that cover tens of acres where heat was provided by industry that is long gone.

yes, nothing left to heat them if they shut Drax the greenhouses may shut as well as it will be too expensive to heat them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eggsarascal said:

To an extent, in my last place I had a good size garden with a veg plot and a fair size greenhouse and what was left of an orchard, fruit and veg was plentiful. Does that mean I shouldn’t be able to access out of season fruit and veg?

To an extent, yes.

I'm fairly certain that reducing the consumption of out of season produce that's been grown thousands of miles away will reduce the scandalous amount of food waste that we have in this country.

A homegrown cabbage or turnip say, will have a far greater shelf life than a Liz Truss. Unlike a lettuce, or other salad vegetable or soft fruit.

I got the rough idea of where you meant, just don't tar the whole industry.

Parts of Pacific ocean might not be a bad idea, providing they can get close to the tectonic plates as the earth is one huge nuclear reactor garbage disposal.

What other solution do you have ?, Or the 139+ tons of pure plutonium we have at sellafield ?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Is it underinvestment, or something else? Stoke (for example) is a massive hub with huge distribution warehouses that stand next to rundown sites, couldn’t theses sites be redeveloped to grow our fruit and veg with recovered heat?… I know I’m miles off money, I’d like to think it could work.

• Like 1

They could, but in part it all comes down to what the consumer is prepared to pay.  If UK apple growers are pulling out acres of apple trees because they can't afford to store the apples they grow, and the last year's crop are being left on the ground to rot, it is going to take some huge gonads to try and turn brownfield sites into something which makes economic sense for food production.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GarethM said:

What other solution do you have ?,

Simples.. Stop small greedy minds fecking with everything that really matters... do it OFF WORLD or don't do it at all... this spherical petri dish floating in a vacuum really doesn't need any more totally uncontrolled poisoners or the digital infiltration of the previous organic' process of counting '...that was called evolution.

I'm a very big advocate of the { mostly hidden from us }  golden ratio or Fibonacci number sequence which describes all of nature and science and everything in the universe perfectly... It's how your crops grow.. I'm sure you know this🙄