Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

2 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Its simply sound business practice. My outlays will mitigate whatever tax Im due for this and the previous tax years. I dont intend on making firewood and timber anything other than a sideline that wipes its face. 

But dont worry Leslie, no doubt I pay more in tax a year that you earn, thankfully on the whole not to HRMC though. ;) 

Bank of mum and dad when you bought your saw mill i think you told me one time.🤭

Just now, topchippyles said:

Bank of mum and dad when you bought your saw mill i think you told me one time.🤭

I absolutely did not tell you that Leslie. Every single thing I own was bought and paid for with money I earned. Every since piece of equipment I own was paid cash. 

Since we’ve never communicated other than over this forum I expect you can back up that claim? 

6 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

Never gonna happen and I’m not surprised in the slightest you like her. Her nasty politics suits you to the ground. She’ll never get independence though, not nearly enough people support her. 

I hope you're right.  On a sentimental level I, as a true born Englishman, don't want to lose Scotland from the union; it's a beautiful country with so much to offer.

On a more hardnosed level I struggle to see anyone gaining from independence except for the acquisition of smug grins north of the border

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Mark J said:

I agree that the farmer was within his rights. Why did you quote this?image.thumb.png.600e95a043b4bf823450dd464d7079ea.png

So much shit flying around 🤷‍♂️

4E8502E0-AC7C-4E5F-A73C-E09BC58EC1EE.pngThing is mark it wasn’t about Boris that much more your tax deviances in the end. 

Edited by Johnsond

17 minutes ago, nepia said:

On a more hardnosed level I struggle to see anyone gaining from independence except for the acquisition of smug grins north of the border

If Scotland gained independence would it not also seek to rejoin the EU?

Bet the EU would welcome them with open arms and then Scotland would become an attractive option for many firms currently south of the border

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mark J said:

Journalists could face 14 years behind bars if they uncover stories that embarrass the government - it has been reported...

Any excuse to recall this most excellent parody!

And whilst also acknowledging the seriousness of your point Mark.....

• Like 1

Old Jimmy Krankie was on the radio at lunchtime today actually. I think she was chatting some sense about the Ukrainian situation and the ensuing refugee crisis.

We've only accepted a meer 50 of the 1.5 or so million so far. Confusion and excessive bureaucracy in the visa process are impeding things. Not very good really is it? The rest of Europe are just accepting 10s or 100s of thousands of people as they're clearly in desperate need.

WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Forty-five minutes of news, analysis and comment, with Sarah Montague

2 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

If Scotland gained independence would it not also seek to rejoin the EU?

Bet the EU would welcome them with open arms and then Scotland would become an attractive option for many firms currently south of the border

The gaping credibility void in the Scottish independence debate was the inability to make the books balance. 

Id like to say this ‘should’ trouble the EU but they have a recorded history of intentionally emasculating basket case national economies in the German quest for European dominance. 

That Scotland’s (independent) economy would be a basket case - this should debar Scotland from being even remotely eligible, and that’s putting aside the fact they don’t have, nor was there any plan for a ‘currency’ except that it might be the case that the EU would ignore all of that and still provide some distant aspiration of Scottish EU membership - it would be EU MO after all. 

Now it might be that energy independence might an a new dimension to the argument. 

Scotland joining EU after independence - I’d put that at 5-10 years after independence and independence from UK is 5-10 years away from now....  

Scotland independently within the EU I’d give that 50/50 odds - 10 years away (at best) 15 more likely, possibly 20, just as likey not at all. 

14 minutes ago, sime42 said:

Old Jimmy Krankie was on the radio at lunchtime today actually. I think she was chatting some sense about the Ukrainian situation and the ensuing refugee crisis.

We've only accepted a meer 50 of the 1.5 or so million so far. Confusion and excessive bureaucracy in the visa process are impeding things. Not very good really is it? The rest of Europe are just accepting 10s or 100s of thousands of people as they're clearly in desperate need.

Forty-five minutes of news, analysis and comment, with Sarah Montague

All of the news reports I’ve heard have been very careful to state “UK accepts 50 applications”

They have all been equally careful to not actually state how many applications have been received.....

The number 50, in isolation, is completely meaningless without context. If only 50 have applied what are you gonna do?

(I acknowledge there are some administrative barriers and that some of them may be considered as excessive - but we still don’t know how many have sought or want an application for UK)

Edited by kevinjohnsonmbe