Show your tractors

Will Cobb

• 4 weeks later...

The 203 industrial is starting to earn its keep so I treated it to a new tractor flap😅.

I put my new pto powered log splitter on it and it's getting a lot of use. Runs the splitter absolutely lovely on tickover, goes all day on a sniff of an oily rag👌 

Although there's no gauges, hand throttle, mud flaps, right hand step or alternator 😅😅, it starts on half a turn of the key and purrs like a kitten👍👍👍👍

20220306_125428553.jpg

received_2964296890457642.jpeg

20220319_141150950.jpg

20220319_163923913.jpg

• Like 6

58 minutes ago, nepia said:

And you haven't even altered the wobbly operating lever on the splitter.  I know why it's like that but I couldn't change mine fast enough; doesn't it do your head in?!

I nip it up tight with a pair of spanners and an extra lock nut every time I use it so I can use it with the correct number of hands!

I just need to buy/make an m8 threaded handle then I can  make it properly user friendly!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, nepia said:

It's a bit eye level but I haven't poked one out yet 🙄

PXL_20220320_091323472.jpg

PXL_20220320_091334387.MP.jpg

Different machine but I removed the two handle thingy and welded an old screwdriver to mine the day I bought it.  Many years later, long after forgetting it ever had two handed control I had someone splitting for me and he thought it would be a good idea to put his spare hand between the blade and the log. Could have been a lot worse but he has a nickname of "no nail" now.

It wasn't pretty.

I do all the splitting now.

1 hour ago, Conor Wright said:

Different machine but I removed the two handle thingy and welded an old screwdriver to mine the day I bought it.  Many years later, long after forgetting it ever had two handed control I had someone splitting for me and he thought it would be a good idea to put his spare hand between the blade and the log. Could have been a lot worse but he has a nickname of "no nail" now.

It wasn't pretty.

I do all the splitting now.

I kind of want to post something similar every time someone says they've converted to single hand. Injury on modified splitter is one of the few successful HSE prosecution of tree surgeon I could find online. Your own splitter on your own property fill your boots, but someone working for you is such an obvious PUWER flout they are likely to have a look and throw the book.

My splitter is two hand operated and will remain so, ram return happens when you let go so it isn't a big hindrance. Otherwise make a bonfire of the chainsaw trousers, boots, second rope, chain brakes, and all the other safety measures to guard against pretty low risks tbh.

There, said it. Now carry on...

• Like 3

Fair comment and I wouldn't employ someone to use my machine the way it is.  It doesn't have auto return.  If it had that I'd probably go the whole 'they're my hands, mind your own business' hog and rig up a foot pedal.  At least I could have both hands on the log.

Oh I wish...

The 2 handed splitter rule makes no sense to me what so ever!! If anything I would say it makes them more dangerous to use- can't use 1 hand to hold the log while you slowly lower the blade onto it, which means it can be shot out at you when the blade does touch it, if the log is oversized for the table there's a good chance of it falling on you as you can't steady it, it's more tiring and there's more twisting and reaching involved. 

You could say that any tool should only be usable with both hand to prevent any risk to the operator- put dead man's handles on chainsaws, nail guns, chopsaws and angle grinders for a start?? 

Or just let the operators of machines use their judgement? 

Not having a pop at anyone that's pointed out the rule, I know they are just trying to help people avoid a world of grief if they let someone else use an unsafe machine 👍👍

• Like 2