£38K is the current UK average wage, are business owners working for less??

skyhuck

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a business owner operator I think its all down to personal choice. I can set up my business so I work 250 days per year and earn £100 per day. Or I can work 100 days a year for £250 per day. Its the same out come but I know what I would opt for, you just have to decide how you run your life and how you plan to hit the goals you set yourself.

As for business owners earning only 8k per year I think they either doing a tax fiddle or they only work 2 or 3 days month.

To answer your question, yes.

The question that needs asking IMO is, if the average wage is £26,500, roughly hundred quid a day (for a PAYE employee), who gets paid holidays, company car or van, sick pay (sometimes) and pension etc,

How on earth can someone come on Arbtalk and offer a days subby work for any less than £150?

Location dependant.

Location thats key eGg , £26k could be deemed a good or a bad wage depending where you are on the map. £150 a day is probably ok if you dont have a £500,000 mortgage, all your gear on the strap and a lease car/truck.

Bob

As a self employed arborist I have turned over between 34-38 a year for the last 4 years depending on how much time off I had, I am just a run of the mill day in day out climber.

My wife works part time and earns 10k a year.

Our combined earnings with mine caculated to net profit was around 38k over last 3 years.

We just managed to scrimp a 280k mortgage with a 20% deposit in January

The average house price in my area is 325k and they are moving very quick

So yeah 38k seems right in my area (Oxfordshire)

My brother in law is a truck driver from Birmingham, he earns £110 a day driving with regular 6 day weeks if he wants it.

I am on £150 a day with regular 6 day weeks if I want it.

He is considerably better off than me as he has just bought a large 3 bed house for 150k and I have a pokey 2 bed bungalow for 285k that needs major overhaul!

No, they pay them right up to 30 something household income. And they pay very well!

Trust me I speak from experience, had couple of bad years and was claiming it, as soon as income went over 7.5 no more working tax credit and have to pay it back.

The French business system is set up so that it unintentionally discourages people from turning over more than 34k euros a year.

After this figure has been breached, vat, accountants and a whole raft of other issues faces the small business man.

Most in our line of work declare just under 34k and take cash wherever possible.

Some, afraid of taking such a 'risque' prefer to close their doors taking long breaks to avoid having to make too much money and instead resign themselves to a life scuffing along on the breadline and near poverty.

34k turnover, leaves you with 25'500 after social charges.

25'500euros with which to run a truck, chipper and pay a wage?

The French state shoots itself in the foot by micromanaging business here.

Ty

An alternative life choice made by too many is to sign on.

The state will provide housing.

Reduction in phone and services.

Give a couple with 2 kids just 10% less than a single wage earner, married with 2 kids.

Work a little undeclared and life is looking rosy.

Ty