£38K is the current UK average wage, are business owners working for less??

skyhuck

How on earth can someone come on Arbtalk and offer a days subby work for any less than £150?

Location dependant.

I don't know, over my way you've got a lot of guys for £110-120 mark and the few hot shots at £160-£180. However I always notice the higher bracket guys are always chasing for days.

I get why because for a little more wedge you can weigh up slamming a bigger job out in a day or a day and a morning and you've got some to go onto something else after. So the cheaper day cost becomes more of a business choice.

We're starting to stop regular subby hire as to be honest I'd rather save their cost and give some of that saving to my lads as a wage increase.

But that's me slightly digressing from the original post.

And don't get me wrong I don't subby climb for less than £180.00 (hence why I rarely subby climb). Unless you work for me then I charge the same rate as they've charged me.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think as a business owner, whether you make a decent wage or not is largely dependent on your reinvestment. I'm still a fairly new business (6 years) and I'm still heavily in the investment phase. Takehome pay is not much, but by the end of this year we will have increased turnover 4 fold in 2 years.

After that, I can stop buying sawmills and forklifts and look forward to a bloody great tax bill!

38k ? I know of several sole trader tree firms locally that, from what they tell me man to man, and reading between the lines, don't draw much more than 8k in wages for the fiscal year. They price jobs as much as they dare, buy another old chipper a bit more reliable than last years one, trade that old truck in for something not falling to pieces,and really try to swim against the tide of entry level guys pricing against them.

It's £27600.

That's a median average.

Which is total bollocks.

I can remember stats at school, mean, median and mode.

For a £27600 median average, the lowest paid PAYE employee would have to be on £0, the highest on £55200.

That's a fact.

Trying to massage median figures is fiction.

The modal figure is probably more relevant, but seems harder to get hold of?

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.

The real question should be 'what is the average salary for people doing a job they enjoy'?

It's £27600.

That's a median average.

Which is total bollocks.

I can remember stats at school, mean, median and mode.

For a £27600 median average, the lowest paid PAYE employee would have to be on £0, the highest on £55200.

That's a fact.

Trying to massage median figures is fiction.

The modal figure is probably more relevant, but seems harder to get hold of?

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.

The real question should be 'what is the average salary for people doing a job they enjoy'?

Jeeeeeez Mark. Not just a pretty face eh!

I think as a business owner, whether you make a decent wage or not is largely dependent on your reinvestment. I'm still a fairly new business (6 years) and I'm still heavily in the investment phase. Takehome pay is not much, but by the end of this year we will have increased turnover 4 fold in 2 years.

After that, I can stop buying sawmills and forklifts and look forward to a bloody great tax bill!

38k ? I know of several sole trader tree firms locally that, from what they tell me man to man, and reading between the lines, don't draw much more than 8k in wages for the fiscal year. They price jobs as much as they dare, buy another old chipper a bit more reliable than last years one, trade that old truck in for something not falling to pieces,and really try to swim against the tide of entry level guys pricing against them.

That and that. :thumbup1:

The last figures google finds were 25k in 2014/5

Unless it means household income

Yes I think the £38K I heard was average household income, not wage, but in my house they are the same thing, hence my error.

How can they live on £8k :confused1:

Ha know that feeling, don't think my turnover was as high as 38k last year.