The power of positive thinking

Stefan Palokangas

Most often successful people are successful because they didn't realise that they had to ask permission to be successful.

Or, they are the sort of people that have an obnoxious streak, that are motivated by reactance, ie tell those people they can't do something, limit his options and he'll bloody well do what he wants. You can use that method with the car space.

Imagine a car space and then some idiot, stealing it from you, just about pulling into it, then in the corner of the picture you image a small postcard of you nipping into that space just before the other car, with a zoom pfft you imagine that small card instantly magnified to overwhelm the big picture. It's a method that works especially well with job interviews.

The reactance comes from the righteous indignation of having your options limited by the assumption of someone else. That is powerful motivational stuff. Righteous indignation is not negative, or maybe it is, but very powerful and the sort of thing that countries are built from.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just been to Tesco's Billhook.

I knew it would be mad busy, so all the way there I visualised my parking space.

When I got there, it was there, right in front of me!

I zoomed straight in.

Unfortunately, I hadn't realised that a Range Rover was already parked in it.

Can you PM me your address so I can send you the bill?

Ta.

I was fully expecting that one from you!

It is easy to be cynical, especially when you come from a world of chainsaws and winches and if something does not work there is a logical process to find out the problem and sort it.

I was talking about the parking to a very pretty young lady and she said she always finds the space in Tescos because she is in contact with what she calls her "Parking Angel"

Real New Age stuff

It was not this lady by the way

Put your 'Parking Angel' to good use - Julia Wilmot - Writer - Inspiring Stories

Now if you had taken the right vehicle into Tescos in the first place you could have parked anywhere you wanted!

[ame]

[/ame]

or better still this

[ame]

[/ame]

I've just been to Tesco's Billhook.

I knew it would be mad busy, so all the way there I visualised my parking space.

When I got there, it was there, right in front of me!

I zoomed straight in.

Unfortunately, I hadn't realised that a Range Rover was already parked in it.

Can you PM me your address so I can send you the bill?

Ta.

Ha ha, brilliant.

Are you sure it's the brain that does that?

There are other brain cells in the gut as well, a network of neurons that contains more brain cells than a cat's head so if your gut is telling you something you should probably listen.

Seems to me that some people are confusing two issues,,

One might be called in another age, the power of prayer...

My point is about personality types...

A man set on a successful path to achieve his ambition, might employ positive thinking as he heads towards his goal.. he might spend all day visualizing his success... he might even pray for success, who knows!!...

He might do a lot of things that require him to be stubborn, pig headed and determined to succeed....

But its not something he thinks much about because for him its what makes him the man that he is.. he's born that way...

Now it seems to me, the positive thinking crowd are just trying to emulate in some way the personality of those who have achieved success...

Determined, I'll be determined from now on.

They think positive, must be more positive..

They visualize a goal, I'll set a goal and spend time thinking on it..

Knock-backs are opportunities to learn from, if I come unstuck, I wont be miserable...

and on it goes, ect ect ect.....

My point is you're better off being yourself and doing things your own way than you are attempting to emulate the mindset of someone you admire....

In a nutshell, be yourself. and damn the consequences..

On the subject of parking places, went to McDonalds today reversed into place, visualizing where the wheels might align with the whites lines, only to have the tow bar crash into the grass banking taking out a chunk of dirt an grass, I sneaked out again later but no one seemed to notice the damage I'd done....

Not read all the replies to this but I definitely agree with the title. I never gave this much thought till we had our second child and went for a technique (not as weird as it sounds) called hypnobirthing, in which you both picture yourselves having the birth you want and practice relaxing activities (e.g. listening to chill music) throughout the pregnancy, then when you're in the thick of labour your body instinctively knows to calm down and relax and just do what it needs to do at that time, because you've trained your mind (Jedi style)- and the body follows where the mind leads. In football terms "play the way you're facing". Our daughter's (first child) birth was pretty difficult for my wife; but using these techniques our son was born at home with no intervention and (my wife would say) v little pain.

I read a book by a paratrooper company commander (Russell Lewis I think) who had a really similar technique for visualising himself as a leader on the battlefield- in his mind, putting himself in the shoes of famous generals who had won astonishing victories. I think he called it neurolinguistic programming.

All I can say is from our experience it really works. I try to use the same techniques now in other areas of life. (E.g. if your Instagram account constantly shows pics/videos of arb work - your mind will absorb part of that even though it's not your experience).

Dan

I was fully expecting that one from you!

It is easy to be cynical, especially when you come from a world of chainsaws and winches and if something does not work there is a logical process to find out the problem and sort it.

I was talking about the parking to a very pretty young lady and she said she always finds the space in Tescos because she is in contact with what she calls her "Parking Angel"

Real New Age stuff

It was not this lady by the way

Put your 'Parking Angel' to good use - Julia Wilmot - Writer - Inspiring Stories

Now if you had taken the right vehicle into Tescos in the first place you could have parked anywhere you wanted!

or better still this

Hahaha! Classic.

The mind is a very powerful thing.

Positive thinking/stubbornness/hard graft/good luck - I think they are all somehow linked.

I do know that when you're skint, no work coming in, weather crap etc. it's easy to slide into a negative cycle of depression and whingieness. No one else will dig you out, you need to do it yourself.

I remember one old boy saying the harder he tried the luckier he got.

You can harness negative thoughts as well.

Those jobs where it gets to 2pm and you realise you're behind, we've all had them.

Sometimes it just helps to then get a bit cross, go balls-out, and wrap the job up for teatime.

Good thread.

I tried to visualise my favourite tescos girl waiting for me at her checkout with no queue, turns out she wasn't even there at all, what did I do wrong?

Seriously though I'm all for positive thinking, it does make a difference and does help you succeed, and not just because you're thinking positively. People you deal with will pick up on your general demeanour. Personally I don't enjoy being in the company of negative pessimistic people. That's just one example of how it makes a difference

There are other brain cells in the gut as well, a network of neurons that contains more brain cells than a cat's head so if your gut is telling you something you should probably listen.

Can you please stop being clever when I'm trying to be silly?

I tried to visualise my favourite tescos girl waiting for me at her checkout with no queue, turns out she wasn't even there at all, what did I do wrong?

You were not honest in telling us your true dream of what you wanted to do to the Tesco's girl and she intercepted your wicked thoughts and did not fancy your wicked ideas!