Vat killing me!

simonm

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not sure about the legalities of split companies.. Sounds dodgy to me, it needs to be remembered that it's not a a case of right or wrong, it's a case of how an inspector interprets the rules. And these people have so much power, freezing bank accounts for example, that it's not a risk worth taking.

I'm surprised how many people manage to stay under the vat threshold (without doing a lot of cash). The threshold is 83000, that's only £318 per working day of the year..

your basing that on working 52wks off the yr ??.what if some one only works 44wksof the yr ,very low overheads & subby wen needed , differant ball game me thinks ,

your basing that on working 52wks off the yr ??.what if some one only works 44wksof the yr ,very low overheads & subby wen needed , differant ball game me thinks ,

I dont understand how folk can work like this though, I find there is very little I can do on my own, even jobs where you just need someone to stand over the footpath can be a pita on your own, having somebody full time makes you much Moore efficient.

I dont understand how folk can work like this though, I find there is very little I can do on my own, even jobs where you just need someone to stand over the footpath can be a pita on your own, having somebody full time makes you much Moore efficient.

I agree simon but jonny has been there man and boy with 5 staff on etc etc and in reality is now semi retired so it suits him personally which is fair enough.

If you know how to charge then sure its better to work two days a week for £700 a day and take the rest off, but there's a lot of firms who work maybe 18 days a month and still stay under the threshold, these are the ones I don't get..

Round here I don't think i'd get enough small connie jobs to make a living on my own, the small jobs are the most competitive, as more people can do them. I don't work 250 days a year but when you have staff the company will be working that many days, different staff have time off at different times..

Depends hugely on who/what your customer base is imo. If a lot of your work is domestic, working class customers then vat would cause you to lose work. I have always stayed under it and as a two man/three man now and then team you can make good money.

I must say you do have to love some of the facts in this thread, some of them would send you straight to jail.:001_smile:

i have quoted £550 + vat to remove a medium sized Horse Chestnut in a customers garden, i didn't mention there was vat to pay, the customer said he had a much cheaper quote! despite me pointing out it had codominant stems, and a large column of decay that 2 other firms had not spotted :confused1:, people dont wanna pay more than they have to even though you know the other firms who had quoted are ****!

Just because they're cheaper than you doesn't make them no good.

What difference does the rot make? It's coming out anyway.

You're coming across a bit whiny IMO.

I am whiny tbh Mick, pissed off trying to better me and my family to end up knocked down again, the tree is covered by a tpo, the owner has tried to get the tree removed before but as folk are missing obvious defects and not applying the correct information to the application it is getting rejected, 1 of the other firms had a climber in a tree with trainers, no harness rope etc, top handle with no strop and a bit of tow rope that wasn't long enough! and the other i have no end of bad stories.