Vat killing me!

simonm

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I see what you mean, but a lot of good sole traders out there, just running a small firm!!

Thats how everyone starts, then sole trader to ltd then your doing good jobs winning more work then oops you've hit the threshold.

Well I take my Hat off to all you Lads that move on for bigger jobs/contracts etc has I cannot handle paperwork!! The amount of work I have knocked back over the years I could of easily of had a few Vans knocking about but the thought of been office bound or coming home to piles of paperwork sends shivers down my spine .

I keep it simple these days with Domestic customers paying online so no chasing pennies at night time and have just packed in my last commercial grass job because of time pissing about chasing payments after 3 months invoices and raising purchase orders when I can spend time at Home and with kids . Final straw was last week when a Customer changed the access time of a job at 9.00pm the night before which would of put a extra day on the job.

Sole Trader for me and stuff the big jobs now .

Ste

Well I take my Hat off to all you Lads that move on for bigger jobs/contracts etc has I cannot handle paperwork!! The amount of work I have knocked back over the years I could of easily of had a few Vans knocking about but the thought of been office bound or coming home to piles of paperwork sends shivers down my spine .

I keep it simple these days with Domestic customers paying online so no chasing pennies at night time and have just packed in my last commercial grass job because of time pissing about chasing payments after 3 months invoices and raising purchase orders when I can spend time at Home and with kids . Final straw was last week when a Customer changed the access time of a job at 9.00pm the night before which would of put a extra day on the job.

Sole Trader for me and stuff the big jobs now .

Ste

Depends what you want doesn't it, i have never turned a job down which sometimes is a lot of hassle, i was up at 5 am today drove an hour and half to work in newark, got home @ 7 spent an hour sorting gear out, tea quote then up @ 6 tomorrow to do it again!

Depends what you want doesn't it, i have never turned a job down which sometimes is a lot of hassle, i was up at 5 am today drove an hour and half to work in newark, got home @ 7 spent an hour sorting gear out, tea quote then up @ 6 tomorrow to do it again!

Don't get me wrong , I start early and love the early spring morning's but am hurtling to 50 and after years of hard graft its time to slow the pace for me lol.

Ste

It is hard when you are just doing domestic work as householders will more often than not go for the cheapest wether it is the better job or not price is usually the deciding factor .

Why don't you do what a carpet fitter mate of mine did he had 3 businesses running all under the vat threshold as all his work was for domestic customers.Why become an unpaid tax collector.

The only upside of being vat registered is that you can claim vat back on inputs which sometimes can be a big amount on machinery and plant.

You've got to do what best works for you

It is hard when you are just doing domestic work as householders will more often than not go for the cheapest wether it is the better job or not price is usually the deciding factor .

Why don't you do what a carpet fitter mate of mine did he had 3 businesses running all under the vat threshold as all his work was for domestic customers.Why become an unpaid tax collector.

The only upside of being vat registered is that you can claim vat back on inputs which sometimes can be a big amount on machinery and plant.

You've got to do what best works for you

Because if the VAT man decides they are not separate business, with separate equipment, they will go back 6 years, calculate the VAT due and bill you, they may well also charge you interest and penalties.

And it does happen, with the government trying to cut back all the time this sort of thing will be getting targeted more .

It just ain't worth it for a few customers who think you can just turn VAT off when you feel like it!

Because if the VAT man decides they are not separate business, with separate equipment, they will go back 6 years, calculate the VAT due and bill you, they may well also charge you interest and penalties.

That and also with a combined turnover that must be 200k or more to necessitate 3 businesses...what's the point in avoiding it rediculous and when he gets caught his life will be ruined