"You bent my bar mate"

Dillinger86

I borrowed a mates 661 with a great big bar (sugihara)

I used it to just get a large willow over, the chain had been well grounded before I got it, i sharpened it used it returned it full of oil and fuel...

I get a phone call saying 'you've bent this bar it wont cut properly bla bla'

So he wants me to buy a new one.. Never at any point had i trapped or abused this saw. How would you handle this situation???

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I borrowed a mates 661 with a great big bar (sugihara)

I used it to just get a large willow over, the chain had been well grounded before I got it, i sharpened it used it returned it full of oil and fuel...

I get a phone call saying 'you've bent this bar it wont cut properly bla bla'

So he wants me to buy a new one.. Never at any point had i trapped or abused this saw. How would you handle this situation???

Well first off I would be sorting it out with him and not broadcasting it on the internet for all and sundry (him included) to read

Secondly I would handle it by not borrowing kit

Are you sure it is bent and not cutting badly because of the sharpening? Have you had a look at the bent bar?

The chain was in such a bad way it was a bit of a salvage job, the chains on large bars have to be well maintained in order for it to cut straight, though i used to work for him and i know how no one looks after anything there..

Yes quite agree with the second point, however when just starting out...

Buy him a new saw, then he'll feel guilty.

Get him a new 880 and he'll feel really bad :thumbup1: Ask to see the bar and chain, if the chain goes round the bar it's probably the chain at fault. It's probably not making dust like he's used to and the chips are unnerving him if you sharpened it.