The time has finally come

It's just a case of putting your HAAS or any other rope grab on the line, put the tail through the biner and either chuck a few handfulls of rope the direction you are going or clip the tail into a wire gate revolver on your bridge to keep the tail with you. 20 seconds set up 3 clips and done. I only use it on tricky limbs as well.

Oh yeh I'm not saying it's difficult setting up but I dont find it hard coming back in on single line.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the time I have been climbing srt, I have never set up any sort of mechanical advantage system. I either just come in as normal or roll off the side of the limb and then swing back to the stem.

Yep, this is actually much easier than messing around setting up an MA.

If the swing back in is scary I drop the tail of my rope then ask the groundie to hold it and control my swing in.

Simple, safe, smooth, speedy.

In the time I have been climbing srt, I have never set up any sort of mechanical advantage system. I either just come in as normal or roll off the side of the limb and then swing back to the stem.

Yep agree with that although in fall off in a very uncool way.

Talking dismantles Steve, today my task would of been ten times worse.

I tend to place my top anchor central and then add a isolated redirect on a high lateral over the side I'm currently working. For me personally I like it this way having my centre of gravity away from the rigging and it makes it easy to remove the tips and working that side. I remove it when required and continue as a see fit.

Obviously if I can just butt tie it and it's simple then there's no need to make it complicated.

It's mainly changing from years of ddrt climbing and route planning. I found it just clicked one day for me and I suspect it will for you, just bare with it and actively ponder on how you work a section differently to ddrt.

Just my pennies worth.

I was deadwood in oaks today and was able to Base tie in one tree and then from it, using redirects through other limbs, do 3 other oaks. They were tall woodland trees. The last one was a horrible hoor which without srt would have been difficult for me.

What you finding hardest Steve?

For me the main thing is coming back in from long limb walks where you can't drop onto them from a redirect.

I don't know if you used this today, but if you're spiking up a stem with a top anchor point, clip your chest harness in, as well as your foot ascender, and you can then just "free climb" up the stem on your spikes and your system will follow you up.

Nothing particularly hard to be honest, I'm just not feeling it at the moment. I've lost all fluidity, and yes I expected that to happen....but even so I can't see it will ever be as fluid a technique as Ddrt. There is always going to be stopping and starting, faffing around attaching ascenders etc etc.

I will try the freeclimb technique you mention tomorrow.

Same as Joe,It's all about setting the system so it self tends or making it easy to self tend using the harness or as I found the neck tether to get the most out the system. Coming in off a 2 .1 system is pretty different but I actually find the single line easier now once you get used to it.

I think my chest harness isn't ideal, don't like the idea of the neck tethers though. I'm amazed they haven't been classified a safety hazard to be honest.

It's mainly changing from years of ddrt climbing and route planning. I found it just clicked one day for me and I suspect it will for you, just bare with it and actively ponder on how you work a section differently to ddrt.

Just my pennies worth.

Yep near on 20 years Ddrt for me, so this is quite a massive change.