The time has finally come

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not having a problem with the kiwi climber pantin kicking out, but then I don't have a problem with the new petzl one either funnily enough.

Still disliking srt

What you finding hardest Steve?

For me the main thing is coming back in from long limb walks where you can't drop onto them from a redirect.

I don't know if you used this today, but if you're spiking up a stem with a top anchor point, clip your chest harness in, as well as your foot ascender, and you can then just "free climb" up the stem on your spikes and your system will follow you up.

What you finding hardest Steve?

For me the main thing is coming back in from long limb walks where you can't drop onto them from a redirect.

I don't know if you used this today, but if you're spiking up a stem with a top anchor point, clip your chest harness in, as well as your foot ascender, and you can then just "free climb" up the stem on your spikes and your system will follow you up.

Same as Joe,It's all about setting the system so it self tends or making it easy to self tend using the harness or as I found the neck tether to get the most out the system. Coming in off a 2 .1 system is pretty different but I actually find the single line easier now once you get used to it.

Same as Joe,It's all about setting the system so it self tends or making it easy to self tend using the harness or as I found the neck tether to get the most out the system. Coming in off a 2 .1 system is pretty different but I actually find the single line easier now once you get used to it.

Do you use mechanical advantage for limb walks Matty? It's my main downfall with SRT. I usually just struggle back in with a 1:1.

Yeah I always said I didn't see the point of srt for removals anyway, but I did say I was going to climb exclusively on this set up till I got the hang of it. There's plenty of time allowed on this particular job as it happens so no worries there. I do feel like a beginner for sure

That's what I did for 6 weeks Steve. Even on the trees that didn't warrant it. It was the best way to learn the does and don'ts of srt.

Not used the mechanical advantage systems mate , thought they just looked a faff to set up , like to keep the system as simple as possible , I've found in big open crowns the tail of the rope just pulls through any slack if I clip on the neck tether up for coming in and if there is not the weight in the rope it's still easy to pull the slack though you just move faster as your not pulling in double the rope.

Not used the mechanical advantage systems mate , thought they just looked a faff to set up , like to keep the system as simple as possible , I've found in big open crowns the tail of the rope just pulls through any slack if I clip on the neck tether up for coming in and if there is not the weight in the rope it's still easy to pull the slack though you just move faster as your not pulling in double the rope.

Cool. My wrench doesn't like to self tend. Dunno if it's the tether or the hitch. Not tried coming in with the neck elastic clipped in. Reckon mine might be too tight.

I also only use mechanical advantage on drooping branches. P.I.T.A to set up all the time.

It's just a case of putting your HAAS or any other rope grab on the line, put the tail through the biner and either chuck a few handfulls of rope the direction you are going or clip the tail into a wire gate revolver on your bridge to keep the tail with you. 20 seconds set up 3 clips and done. I only use it on tricky limbs as well.