The time has finally come

I've been on SRT with a wrench for a couple of months and i'm still making stupid mistakes that cost me a lot of sweating to get out of!!

Though I didn't bother researching it. Just bought the stuff and had a go.

It is great now and I really don't think id go back. I still ascend normally if required leaving the tether dangling and then change over at top anchor to alpine butterfly setup. Not convinced even slightly by base anchors for when the chainsaw is going. I will cut as big as possible and don't want my rope getting banged about. Base tying is for throwbag ascents only imo.

Redirects are the key, I dead wooded a big twin stem cedar the other day which was a lot of climbing for not a lot of material and its was great. Lovely feeling ascending 80ft back to the top in no time at all and come back down the other side.

Easy to get excited and rag the hitch cord though. Especially as the line doesnt coil up underneath you some mega swings and descents are really easy and controllable.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Few goodies arrived today, going to give Srt a try tomorrow, probably exclusively for a couple of weeks to give it a fair trial

[ATTACH]200267[/ATTACH]

Well done Steve. You will regret it occasionally but it's worth it in the long run.

The only three tips I would give are:

1. Keep your body up high on branch walk because it makes the return and balance easier. In other words, stay on top of the branch not down close to it.

2. It's all about re-directs. Put them in constantly to boost confidence and to quickly find out what type suits you.

3. IT'S ALL ABOUT RE-DIRECTS!

Edit. Tip 3 could also read:

IT'S ALL ABOUT THE SHOUTING!

'Cos it usually helps.

😂😂😂

Edited by Old Mill Tree Care

So had my first play with it today on a Silver Birch, not the most ideal tree and is was in a pretty bad way. I didn't particularly trust the anchor point so didn't try any redirects which would have side loaded the main anchor more than I liked.

What I learned.....my hitch certainly needs to be shorter, not enough space between that and the wrench really. Tried LOTS which was a bit of a faff so will make up a chest harness for the next go.