Looking for advice on a medium saw

Oldstyle

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is 60cc overkill for coppicing and a bit of firewood?

MS 261 but keep the clutch bearing well greased. A good s'hand MS 260.

If you want light but still capable, maybe the MS 241.

A good Husky 346 but will most have been thrash? Husky 550 XP

Or an offering from Echo. Not so light but you get a lot if saw for your money.

To be honest my two favourite saws are my ms362 and a Ms181. For everyday use and I do mean everyday use I use the 181 as its light, totally reliable and v good value. If you can sharpen chains well it's a perfect little saw. I have 25 plus acres of woodland to deal with and that saw is always with me. Look at the price of it at Radmore & Tucker or Honey Bros.

I'm living on a farm with lots of large tree hedging over grown ponds and a little woodland. I currently have a sthil 038 farm boss and a sthil ms170 I picked up cheap nearly new. Both great saws but the 170 can be a little under powered with the 12 inch bar so I'm reluctant to put a longer bar on and the 038 is so heavy your knackered just carrying it about but very handy when the power is needed and it's got a 20 inch bar.

Mostly I'm doing coppicing and fire wood so I'm looking for something in the middle about a 16 inch bar maybe but gutsy.

Not particularly fussed about the brand obviously 'm used to a sthil but iv got friends who love their husqvarnas too. Iv also seen the larger mcculloch saws are very similar to the husqvarna but cheaper but that might mean they are rubbish iv not seen one of them in use or up close.

What saw would you recommend?

I only have one saw.... a Husky 550xpg (heated handle version). I'm very happy with it. Running on a 15" bar 99% of the time but also have an 18" bar should the need arise.

If it were me I'd go for the 550 over the 560 because you already have a bigger saw.

The early 550's and 560's seem to be the ones with all the problems but as far as I can gather most/ or all those problems got ironed out.

Main bonus with the 550 is the power to weight ratio.

cheers, steve

If you want light, nimble and not the quite speed of a 550xp, but still a very respectable alternative for lighter work in general but with the ability to go medium, look at the Echo 390, it's a firecracker of a saw.

It is only 15 inch bar, but very nice.

Edited by geoff