stihl 2 stroke oils again?

shillo

21 minutes ago, Macpherson said:

Ok, I'll stick with what I'm used to... I'm just in principal very much against the idea of fuels and lubricants that are designed not to be able to be stored. this is a comparatively recent thing and never used to be the case.

I'm sure it's only arse covering from the manufacturer, oil has been in the ground for millions of years!! Its the way they push these sell by dates, to make more money obviously..the bottle of super says made in Germany god knows if its the container or the oil! cheers 

Edited by Johnkv

11 hours ago, Johnkv said:

I'm sure it's only arse covering from the manufacturer, oil has been in the ground for millions of years!!

Not in it's refined state with all the sulphur removed and friction modifiers, detergents etc. added. It should still last years in the container though and I've never looked at use by dates on anything except food.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, lurch_917 said:

i have used this tip a few times on some of my mates saws  and trimmers and it does work

I have never had the problem with a saw but hedge trimmers and chiefly the Stihl BT 45 drill. I didn't put it down to Stihl oil as opposed to other makes but the chances are our chaps were using Stihl oil as that is what I bought them, red stuff in those days.

I did surmise it was down to using saws with rev limiters at high idle constantly as this causes neat mixture to pass out of the engine and the oil element to deposit on the spark arrestor.

A problem easily fixed with a spanner and blow torch but at first difficult to diagnose.

At the end of the day pay ZERO interest to anything the bod in the shop says, or the name of the oil, super, ultra, bloody marvelous, or best oil ever made. This all means nothing, simply marketing guff..

Just look in the makers manual for the saw, See what Jaso grade they specify, then ONLY use this grade. That is all you need to do..

Completely avoid ANYTHING biodegradeable no matter what it it is.. [unless you want your saw to be biodegradable too that is..]

I have four echo saws and here is what echo have to say on the subject of chain oil.. Think this might be of interest to all of you..

In regards to chain oil [in the manual for my Echo pole saw] they say that;

"To prevent plastic deterioration, do not use synthetic or silicone chain oil" so i would not be using any of that stuff..

They also say in the manual for my CS-7310SX..

" Vegetable based chain oil quickly turns to resin and adheres to oil pump, chain, guide bar, clutch needle bearing and clutch assembly. It causes malfunctions and shortens the products life" and that you are to "flush out" the system with mineral oil if you ever use vegetable based chain oil.."

Therefore, ONLY EVER use ordinary mineral chain oil, nothing else WHATSOEVER...

hope this helps someone...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, john87 said:

At the end of the day pay ZERO interest to anything the bod in the shop says, or the name of the oil, super, ultra, bloody marvelous, or best oil ever made. This all means nothing, simply marketing guff..

Just look in the makers manual for the saw, See what Jaso grade they specify, then ONLY use this grade. That is all you need to do..

Completely avoid ANYTHING biodegradeable no matter what it it is.. [unless you want your saw to be biodegradable too that is..]

I have four echo saws and here is what echo have to say on the subject of chain oil.. Think this might be of interest to all of you..

In regards to chain oil [in the manual for my Echo pole saw] they say that;

"To prevent plastic deterioration, do not use synthetic or silicone chain oil" so i would not be using any of that stuff..

They also say in the manual for my CS-7310SX..

" Vegetable based chain oil quickly turns to resin and adheres to oil pump, chain, guide bar, clutch needle bearing and clutch assembly. It causes malfunctions and shortens the products life" and that you are to "flush out" the system with mineral oil if you ever use vegetable based chain oil.."

Therefore, ONLY EVER use ordinary mineral chain oil, nothing else WHATSOEVER...

hope this helps someone...

Also my take on the subject👍

• Like 1

On 23/05/2022 at 20:52, Johnkv said:

Hi its not that at all, I've emailed stihl about this, the engine oil is good for 5 years in the bottle unmixed on the shelf as you say.. hp super and ultra, in the original bottle.. the stabil is in the Super for to stabilize the fuel and petrol mix. The ultra is also good in its own bottle for 5 years unopened or open but it has no stabil for fuel its mixed in. I hope this explains it.. 

This says Ultra has stabilizer

Screenshot_20220525-154037.thumb.png.5d57c0b01217841edebe963e809841fc.png

6 minutes ago, Haironyourchest said:

This says Ultra has stabilizer

Screenshot_20220525-154037.thumb.png.5d57c0b01217841edebe963e809841fc.png

Yes the usa one has it it's manufactured in USA , the European version is made in Germany and does not contain it. I've emailed both sides and that's the reply I got. Headwrecking really.. I actually kept some hp super mixed fuel I had left and kept it in a glass bottle well over a year ago, it still smells and looks as good as the day I made it. E95 fuel. 

Edited by Johnkv

3 hours ago, Johnkv said:

Yes the usa one has it it's manufactured in USA , the European version is made in Germany and does not contain it. I've emailed both sides and that's the reply I got. Headwrecking really.. I actually kept some hp super mixed fuel I had left and kept it in a glass bottle well over a year ago, it still smells and looks as good as the day I made it. E95 fuel. 

Thanks for that last bit - useful home experiment 👍 Can we assume your experiment was undertaken in shed type conditions ie cold (winter) and hot (summer) ?  

• Like 1

Just now, bmp01 said:

Thanks for that last bit - useful home experiment 👍 Can we assume your experiment was undertaken in shed type conditions ie cold (winter) and hot (summer) ?  

NASSA top lab I understand 🙂

• Haha 1