stihl 2 stroke oils again?

shillo

I could but a. I'm a tight bugger and Aspen is what, 3 times the price? b. I can be an inquisitive nerd and enjoy looking up the best oils, stabiliser and pump fuel, c. Now it's bought I want to use it up, d. It's very easy to p mix my own... Small measuring cup and 63ml of oil for each 2.5 litre can. e. Although it's not far for me to go to Fr jonsey's and buy Aspen, my nearest esso is quite a bit nearer.... Has a decent Tesco express combined so I can buy milk, bread or other essentials (soy sauce was what I was told not to come back without on Thursday when I went 🤣, jonsey doesn't stock that) and it's open until 11 or 12 which is handy.

Ok, oils..

Mineral oils.

Mineral oils are distilled from crude oil. You heat it up and the lighter fractions evaporate off first, to make stuff like LPG, naptha, petrol all the way down to bitumen.

Somewhere in the middle is oil. The stuff has various additives to make it suitable for whatever the end use is..

Fact one.

Oil has a shelf life.. It WILL oxidise with age, but more importantly, various of the additives are metallic in nature, and, given time, WILL settle out of the oil.. So, the 30 year old 40 gallon drum of oil you pinched from work is now no good!!

JASO standards..

FB, [the basic old mineral stuff] is just as oily as the latest synthetic, BUT the synthetic grade "FD" burns a lot cleaner so your engine will not coke up as much, AND, although the "oilyness" is not much different at ordinary temperatures, the synthetic stuff, is MUCH more resistant to breaking down at very high temperatures, which, in a chain saw screaming it's bollocks off, is a very good thing, so use what the makers tell you to use..

Synthetic oils.

Synthetic oils are based on petroleum, but chemically modified, so unlike mineral oil, every single molecule is the same.

There are various types of synthetic oils too..

Some are reserved for industrial uses, as for one thing, they are not compatible with mineral oils and it you mix them the whole lot sets into a gel.. There are also LOTS of problems with compatibility with seals and gaskets and plastic parts too..

The type that is generally used for engines and the like are based on polyalphaolefins. You CAN mix this stuff with mineral oils and this is what the "semi-synthetics" are, BUT, it is not a very good idea at all to try to do this yourself [mix the two i mean], as the additives used in each type of oil are not compatible with each other. So the idea of mixing two oils to make a hybrid recipe all of your own is a very bad one!! There are also problems with compatibility with seals and gaskets and plastic parts with this stuff too..

Fact two.

As i said, mineral oil has a shelf life. Problem is, so does synthetic oil, potentially a shorter one too, the biggest problem being that especially if stored in cold temperatures they are more likely than mineral oils to have the additives settle out of them..

So, buy the oil as you need it, [not ten years supply] and USE WHAT THE MAKERS TOLD YOU TO USE..

As i said in a previous post, "ultra" "super" "dogs bollocks" all means nothing, you need to go by the JASO or ISO standards, anything else is marketing guff..

john..

• Like 1

I get it, to I do, £15 extra a year is not a great deal.  But when you've already got the oil and stabiliser, enough for over a decade, and pump fuel is now convenient, why make life hard and spend more doing it?

Besides, I'd probably end up adding oil to the Aspen as I'm cautious too 😂

2 minutes ago, neiln said:

I get it, to I do, £15 extra a year is not a great deal.  But when you've already got the oil and stabiliser, enough for over a decade, and pump fuel is now convenient, why make life hard and spend more doing it?

Besides, I'd probably end up adding oil to the Aspen as I'm cautious too 😂

See post above about mixing oils...

john..

• Like 1

22 hours ago, neiln said:

(soy sauce was what I was told not to come back without on Thursday when I went)

Soy sauce is not an acceptable substitute for 2 stroke oil, especially the light soy sauce 🤪

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Haironyourchest said:

Cos it's three times the price.

but is it ? at the moment round me im getting the husky one at  £18 a gallon . now petrol round me is £1.75 l =  x 4.5  = £7.86 a gallon + £10 a L for the basic sthil 2 stroke mix + £17.86 . yes i know that you can get a number of uses out of the 1l oil but hey i just turn up and fill up no mess with having to get the right mix .

• Like 2