stihl 2 stroke oils again?

shillo

I thought stihl designed the ultra for the 4mix engines? Is the super better and if so why?

I try to not sell the stihl red unless it's for old machines, the husky hp is a better oil as far as I've been told in regards to a budget oil.

Stihl recommend HP Super for 4 mix , had 2 in last year with heavy carbon build up running Ultra from new , most is see have valve issues after running Stihl red ect . i use Stihl red in some of my old saws 254 ect with no issues

• 6 years later...

I've not had any issues using hp ultra in the 4 mix stihl fs 111, I was running hp super in it before I bought a new chainsaw, the dealer advised I only use ultra in the new saw so I just switched the strimmer to ultra as I didn't want 2 batches of fuel. Will I run into problems with the 4 mix so? Running them both on aspen 4 mixed with hp ultra. 

On 08/02/2016 at 22:20, Mark_Skyland said:

I thought stihl designed the ultra for the 4mix engines? Is the super better and if so why?

I try to not sell the stihl red unless it's for old machines, the husky hp is a better oil as far as I've been told in regards to a budget oil.

I'm convinced super is a better oil going off the specs. I've emailed stihl about it both in the  USA  and uk and germany, All claiming the ultra is better yet they can't seem to back it up with written evidence, super Is rated fd while ultra is fb, a step backwards, I reckon its pushed for environmental factors more than anything because its biodegradable.. I've been pushed into believing the ultra is what's best. Okay there isn't a massive difference between semi synthetic and fully synthetic I'm sure.. as well as that hp super has stabil in it which makes your mix stay good for a long time. Ultra nothing. Its completely headscratching stuff! 

If your 441 is an Mtronic, just fit the solenoid upgrade kit with the grey solenoid and fuel filter kit. That is most likely to cure the stalling on idle issue.

HP super is fine for the saw, Ultra if you want to spend a bit more for a better oil. Red is OK for older non strato saws but stick to semi or fully synthetic with the strato stuff and 4t kit.

If the 4t kit is playing up, most common issue is tappet clearance and usually shows as the saw being difficult to pull over or worn accelerator pump showing as poor pick up off idle.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Johnkv said:

as well as that hp super has stabil in it which makes your mix stay good for a long time. Ultra nothing.

I'd hazard a guess that the stabiliser is in the Super is to protect it from deteriorating while sitting on the shelf in the shed.

Industry will tell you what they think you want to hear particularly if virtue signalling about so called ' greener ' products.

But thanks for pointing out that the green HP Super is biodegradable.. when I finish my supply I think I'll go back to the red HP mineral oil.... I should have ' read the label ' 👍

10 minutes ago, Macpherson said:

I'd hazard a guess that the stabiliser is in the Super is to protect it from deteriorating while sitting on the shelf in the shed.

Industry will tell you what they think you want to hear particularly if virtue signalling about so called ' greener ' products.

But thanks for pointing out that the green HP Super is biodegradable.. when I finish my supply I think I'll go back to the red HP mineral oil.... I should have ' read the label ' 👍

Hiya the ultra is bio not the super, and no it's the petrol fuel it stabilizes not the oil, I know this from experience  👍🏻

Edited by Johnkv
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Johnkv said:

Hiya the ultra is bio not the super 👍🏻

Ok, not got the cans to hand, and to be fair I didn't realise that there are actually 3 choices from Stihl as a 4 L can lasts me quite a while, I used the red stuff for a very long time before last time buying one of the green ones.. I'd need to go to the shed to see which one.

I think as I'd prefer fuel the can be stored without degrading I'd also prefer oil of the same ilk so from that point of view I'll stick with my original comment on stabilisation, I mean imaging having a tin of engine grease or countless other products destabilising while sitting on the shelf in the shed, cheers.

As an edit I'd say that I've been using fuel stabiliser for years but I was only suggesting a motive for doing the same to 2T oil particularly if it's biodegradable... I don't doubt that it will perform both functions👍

Edited by Macpherson
  • Like 1

Hi its not that at all, I've emailed stihl about this, the engine oil is good for 5 years in the bottle unmixed on the shelf as you say.. hp super and ultra, in the original bottle.. the stabil is in the Super for to stabilize the fuel and petrol mix. The ultra is also good in its own bottle for 5 years unopened or open but it has no stabil for fuel its mixed in. I hope this explains it.. 

3 minutes ago, Johnkv said:

Hi its not that at all, I've emailed stihl about this, the engine oil is good for 5 years in the bottle unmixed on the shelf as you say.. hp super and ultra, in the original bottle.. the stabil is in the Super for to stabilize the fuel and petrol mix. The ultra is also good in its own bottle for 5 years unopened or open but it has no stabil for fuel its mixed in. I hope this explains it.. 

Ok, I'll stick with what I'm used to... I'm just in principal very much against the idea of fuels and lubricants that are designed not to be able to be stored. this is a comparatively recent thing and never used to be the case.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Macpherson said:

Ok, I'll stick with what I'm used to... I'm just in principal very much against the idea of fuels and lubricants that are designed not to be able to be stored. this is a comparatively recent thing and never used to be the case.

Cheers buddy All the best. 👍🏻

• Like 1