Poor tree work in conservation area

Starscream

Is there anyone here who can honestly say they havent done some horrible tree work for the sake of making money or because its what the client wants...very few if any.

Blaming gypo's for poor work is easy but in reality we do it too

I have never done ANY crap tree work. (I do struggle with honesty sometimes though)

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha, I know, I know.. I don't know what the industry is like over there but where I am in London it's rife with gippos, carrying out poor work. It's responses like yours that have let it get like it is. If more people were willing to do something about these unqualified gardeners then there'd be more work for the professional, better kept trees and less old people getting ripped off.

How do you know they were ripping off the customer and are you sure they did not inform the council of the work to be carried out. Just because they were not wearing ppe does not mean they dont mind hurting themselves. If you feel this strongly, then maybe you should have gone over and had a chat with them. Maybe there was good reason they were doing this, maybe/probably not, then perhaps you could of educated them. Personaly if i saw this, i would probably tutt to myself and think no more of it, but thats just me. Grassing them up without knowing anything of the situation........hmmm.

How do you know they were ripping off the customer and are you sure they did not inform the council of the work to be carried out. Just because they were not wearing ppe does not mean they dont mind hurting themselves. If you feel this strongly, then maybe you should have gone over and had a chat with them. Maybe there was good reason they were doing this, maybe/probably not, then perhaps you could of educated them. Personaly if i saw this, i would probably tutt to myself and think no more of it, but thats just me. Grassing them up without knowing anything of the situation........hmmm.

I didn't say they were ripping the customer off, but I, nor you, know what they charged or what was agreed; so they could have been ripping them off. In fact, forget the price of the job, if you or I had carried out the work it would have been reduced properly and not left with puncture wounds. So yes, the customer got ripped off.

The situation? Spiking a tree that's being retained in a conservation area is the situation. There's not really a grey area. It was poor practice at best. Blatant disregard at worst. Why shouldn't they be held accountable? Maybe that will help change their ways, but probably not. I would have probably been met with hostility had I approached them.

I didn't say they were ripping the customer off, but I, nor you, know what they charged or what was agreed; so they could have been ripping them off. In fact, forget the price of the job, if you or I had carried out the work it would have been reduced properly and not left with puncture wounds. So yes, the customer got ripped off.

The situation? Spiking a tree that's being retained in a conservation area is the situation. There's not really a grey area. It was poor practice at best. Blatant disregard at worst. Why shouldn't they be held accountable? Maybe that will help change their ways, but probably not. I would have probably been met with hostility had I approached them.

How do you know they did not give notice of intension to fell, in which case they can do as they wish.

Your life must be pretty blessed if you see this a issue worthy of your time, IMO.

What puzzles me a little about this whole thred having scand over it all again is that many people who have contributed care about doing a good job, presenting a professional image and trying to educate the public and in doing so get arb the recognition as a skilled profession that it deserves and in doing that hopefully get the public more willing to pay what we would realy like them to. But and it's a big but when someone is doing the opposite and presenting out industry badly for whatever reason it's the old ' not my problem ' attitude that comes out which is a real shame.

Just my opinion so let the abuse begin.

What puzzles me a little about this whole thred having scand over it all again is that many people who have contributed care about doing a good job, presenting a professional image and trying to educate the public and in doing so get arb the recognition as a skilled profession that it deserves and in doing that hopefully get the public more willing to pay what we would realy like them to. But and it's a big but when someone is doing the opposite and presenting out industry badly for whatever reason it's the old ' not my problem ' attitude that comes out which is a real shame.

Just my opinion so let the abuse begin.

Yea I can really see the old Yin and Yan side of things coming out on this one but on a lighter note can well identify with this I would say you can get an excellent cut with the old Stick if used properly

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldwoodcutter View Post

And using a pole saw isn't against the law either, i have had very good contract climbers (and fellow arbtalkers) ask to send up the gypsy stick, to get the job done easier and safer and with cuts to a good standard.