Up to yer nuts in it thread

aspenarb

Free wheeling hubs are inventions of the devil. The manual ones are worst, you have to step out into 12" of sh1t & get your hands covered in it to switch them on & then get you hands covered again with more sh1t to switch them off. Brilliant idea - NOT.

I never understood the point in them.

I tried running with them locked and also with them unlocked and didn't notice any difference in MPG so ran with them locked all the time.

If you drive a series landrover in 4wd with them locked on the road you will wind up the transmission and either break something or watch it move on its own ! No centre differential between front and rear propshafts necessitate the use of freewheeling hubs or selectable 2/4wd they also reduce wear on vehicles with selectable 4wd as the front prop and diff are stationary rather than being driven by the road wheels !

If you drive a series landrover in 4wd with them locked on the road you will wind up the transmission and either break something or watch it move on its own ! No centre differential between front and rear propshafts necessitate the use of freewheeling hubs or selectable 2/4wd they also reduce wear on vehicles with selectable 4wd as the front prop and diff are stationary rather than being driven by the road wheels !

Your on the ball 👍👍👍

So if you don't mess with a switch on the hub the 4wd won't com on?

You can pull the lever or press the button in the cab as much as you like ..BUT.. if the hubs are set in "disengaged /off" then the drive won't be transmitted to the front wheels.

I got to drive one these wonderful beasts a while back https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alvis_Stalwart - Permanent six wheel drive with no diffs is great in a field - but with the weight... enough for drive shafts to explode on tarmac - if you see one on tarmac - its either had two drive shafts removed, or you'll watch the nervous driver constantly bouncing it off the kerb to allow the shafts to unwind. Amazing fun driving into a lake though :)

I got to drive one these wonderful beasts a while back https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alvis_Stalwart - Permanent six wheel drive with no diffs is great in a field - but with the weight... enough for drive shafts to explode on tarmac - if you see one on tarmac - its either had two drive shafts removed, or you'll watch the nervous driver constantly bouncing it off the kerb to allow the shafts to unwind. Amazing fun driving into a lake though :)

Love that👏

I never understood the point in them.

I tried running with them locked and also with them unlocked and didn't notice any difference in MPG so ran with them locked all the time.

nor me and you have the additional drawback that if you drive for long periods without engaging them the UJs can get stiff through lack of use. Worse still if you are bowing along and the grass begins to get a bit slippy and you engage 4WD high at about 20mph the stationary front prop, diff and halfshafts have to catch up a bit more rapidly than they were designed for.

If you drive a series landrover....on the road you will........break something

Fixed that for you twisty :biggrin:

Had forgotten about such things as those, but with the old Jap stuff at least, if the lever is in 2wd, even with the hubs "locked" it's still in 2wd so doesn't wind up. Likewie, if the hubs are "unlocked" and the lever is in 4wd, it's still only ever going to drive one the rear axle.