Beating/Gundog work

RexPayne

I have 3 dogs I work a cocker springer and a lab not as often as I would like to!your dog needs to come straight back to you and to be able to sit and not squeek it is well worth going to a few classes there is nuthing better than working your dog sending them for long tricky retrieves

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really the right time to be looking for beating unless your dog is steady and as Stubby said, will come on the recall whistle. If the dog ain't steady you will blow its mind with all the scent on a shoot.

What have u done with the dog so far, what stage of training is it at?

Cdo

Forget about guns and whistles for the time being. Get the retrieve sorted then move on slowly IMHO.

Agreed apart from the whistle bit . Whistle to get attention and hand signals work . As I said before A little and often with a Spaniel . Don't train for too long or they will get board . Keep em keen but keep em close till you have total control . Its an on going thing the Spaniels ........

Hard to train are spaniels

My spaniel could penetrate any cover and never ran out if energy with a cracking nose,

He's great in beating woods through but when doing hedges and ditches he gets on a scent and runs with it, after he cocked up a few drives we took early retirement beating

Would say from a personal experience that springers are easier than a cocker spaniel to train but I've been doing it a while, as others have said little and often and don't let the dog slip and get away with anything from day one as they are far too intelligent and will make things harder for you wen it come to formal training at say 16 month old. I always make a point of drumming in the steadiness and keep the dog guessing and using its brain. If you repeat the same thing to often the dog will catch on and anticipate ur next move rather than waiting for the appropriate command, without sounding big headed my dogs have come from field trial champ parents and are themselves champs in competition and prove themselves every shoot day I take them on

Would say from a personal experience that springers are easier than a cocker spaniel to train but I've been doing it a while, as others have said little and often and don't let the dog slip and get away with anything from day one as they are far too intelligent and will make things harder for you wen it come to formal training at say 16 month old. I always make a point of drumming in the steadiness and keep the dog guessing and using its brain. If you repeat the same thing to often the dog will catch on and anticipate ur next move rather than waiting for the appropriate command, without sounding big headed my dogs have come from field trial champ parents and are themselves champs in competition and prove themselves every shoot day I take them on

An intelligent dog accepts command easily, an unintelligent one is harder work, without dogs man would struggle, in a big way!

Wait til you get a rogue sprocker if you think cockers are hard work... I have all 3 breeds.

They say with a sprocker you get the worst of both worlds and I have a tendency to agree....

Theres never a problem getting him in water, its getting the little sod back out! Fine on a retrieve when carrying but then wants to go back in just to swim. Also one minute keen as mustard to hunt when theres scent but when its dull scent he can become reluctant, however if he goes in like that you know somethings going to be coming out the other end of the brambles.

The 2 springers are always good and predictable, the cocker is very good but can have moments so needs to be kept in tighter. The sprocker is great for wildfowling with his love of swimming and retrieving but on the big pheasant days doesn't get worked to much for fear of that "embarrassing moment" of some kind or another as needs 1 on 1 whereas I can run the others as a team or pair..

Wait til you get a rogue sprocker if you think cockers are hard work... I have all 3 breeds.

They say with a sprocker you get the worst of both worlds and I have a tendency to agree....

Theres never a problem getting him in water, its getting the little sod back out! Fine on a retrieve when carrying but then wants to go back in just to swim. Also one minute keen as mustard to hunt when theres scent but when its dull scent he can become reluctant, however if he goes in like that you know somethings going to be coming out the other end of the brambles.

The 2 springers are always good and predictable, the cocker is very good but can have moments so needs to be kept in tighter. The sprocker is great for wildfowling with his love of swimming and retrieving but on the big pheasant days doesn't get worked to much for fear of that "embarrassing moment" of some kind or another as needs 1 on 1 whereas I can run the others as a team or pair..

All that I tend to agree with and it sounds familiar :001_smile: