Beating/Gundog work

RexPayne

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My in-laws work Cockers and I've got a gsp and I know which dog I would rather have!

My pointer and the in-laws youngest cocker were born same day, both had the same training largely and it's been very interesting to train and start working the dogs side by side.

Cockers great if she's feeling biddable but more often than not she will just chase and chase regardless of the whistle very strong prey drive and a mind of her own combined with a certain disregard for discipline can lead to trouble, so she's not been out on a proper shoot yet to much of liability.

Whereas my pointer is a great all round dog. Never hesitates at the whistle, brains like a sponge and she just wants to please.

Whatever happens it gives you great pleasure to see your dog working in the field, but again there's nothing more embarrassing than your dog cocking up a good drive!

I've got a young Lab x Springer that I'd like to train to go out on the odd shoot in the future - don't really know where to start though as I don't know anyone in the shooting fraternity!

If its still a pup, get presentation going, if it brings you the ball and leaves it with you, lots of love and keep playing, if it stops away from you leave the pup and ignore it. If it catches on youve got a retiever, if its more of a spaniel then your better off learning hunting, there are gundog clubs and private trainers who do lessons, you will find people from all walks of life, with varying aspirations, you are bound to enjoy and your dog definitely will.