Aspen v Motomix

john k

When I went into my local (Stihl) dealers to pick up half a dozen cans of Aspen they told me that they were now recommending Motomix instead as it is much more pure than Aspen. I reckon that's a load of guff and they are just pushing the Stihl product.

Anyone else one across this? As far as I know the two are as similar as makes no difference. God knows, Aspen is expensive enough and there's no chance of me paying even more for Stihl's branded version. I'd did get a free litre bottle to try though, so can't complain too much :)

I have been trying to identify differences between Aspen and Motomix, which is a little difficult as Stihl are putting out very little information.

I have found no mention of Motomix being an Alkylate fuel, merely that it is made from premium 92 octane fuel with no ethanol.

This is to some extent backed up by the higher vapour pressure and lower flashpoint of Motomix, properties more in line with pump fuel than Alkylate (Aspen)

And, Motomix has an advertised shelf life of 2 years once opened, compared with the 3-5 years (temperature dependant) of Aspen.

The current Motomix safety data sheet shows the benzene levels at less than 0.5% compared with less than 0.1% for Aspen. (2% for pump fuel)

So far it does look like Aspen is the superior product.

If anyone can find out more info on the Motomix I will be keen to see it. Just remember that the pre 2014 Motomix is different to the current one.