Making a few quid

Stereo

Seems like the first thing to do is cut down on the booze mate. Not having a pop, I go through phases where I drink most night, and have to snap myself out of it. Not only will you be more motivated, more energetic, and more pleasant to be around, but if you're drinking the equivalent of say a bottle of wine/4pack of beer each evening that's almost £150 a month!

A garden centre near me sells Swedish Candles for £15 each!

Rather than rely on one way of earning you extra income, try lots. Advertise "collect your own firewood", domestic hedge trimming, etc.

Best of luck.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you grow on your farm?

Is there a demand for rental property in your area? perhaps let someone pitch a caravan in your yard?

Do you have stables? Allow some horsey types to keep their horse at your farm?

Storage? Caravan storage?

Maybe even see if there's a arb related website and see if any tree surgeons want to store their stuff/ tip waste?

Got any buildings? Indoor caravan storage might be an option, I understand that's good for a tenner a week at least. If you had twenty caravans the neighbours or planning people will get sniffy but for 2 or 3 you might be okay, especially if they are indoors and out of sight.

I too thought caravan or boat storage but what do you do with the land? Surely there must be demand for winter sheep grazing over 50 acres must raise £2K over winter, target the welsh hill farmers. On the wood front, if you have plenty of timber and budget customers why not a pick your own logs operation, would go hand in hand with sheep

Edited by harrythecat178

Seems like the first thing to do is cut down on the booze mate. Not having a pop, I go through phases where I drink most night, and have to snap myself out of it. Not only will you be more motivated, more energetic, and more pleasant to be around, but if you're drinking the equivalent of say a bottle of wine/4pack of beer each evening that's almost £150 a month!

A garden centre near me sells Swedish Candles for £15 each!

Rather than rely on one way of earning you extra income, try lots. Advertise "collect your own firewood", domestic hedge trimming, etc.

Best of luck.

You are quite right Joe. I don't think I'm addicted. I can go for days if it's just not there and not think about it for a second. No side effects or cravings at all. But if it's there I tend to have a go. Have to get my head around that one and somehow stop. I've been up and down with it all my life. None for years and then a load and then none again. I probably just need to cut it all together. I know my missus worries about how much I put away and that is not good even if she doesn't say much other than the odd comment. Crap. Sounding like a drunk to any sane person reading this. Maybe that is the first thing to attend to. It obviously totally is.

Some great ideas here. Thanks. We don't have many barns and the land is already let to sheep grazing but that just about covers keeping up with the fencing, insurance, hedge trimming etc. But it is a really nice site and camping / glamping seems obvious to me. Short term, I have woods and trees so logs would bring in some cash. Skills wise I grew up on the farm so have a basic handle on tractor driving etc. but not up with new kit. Probably happier in a transit than a tractor.

Carpenter1, Totnes way, not far from you I don't think.

I reckon there plenty of blokes in the same situation who won't even admit it to themselves. It's important to get a handle on it before it becomes a problem.

I think part of it is subconscious. When a person drinks to excess most evenings they don't feel good about themselves, and don't have the motivation to get up and start fixing it. It's a perpetuating cycle.

Glamping is a great idea. If you can provide heated huts/yurts you can bring people in all year round.