Making a few quid

Stereo

Thanks fellas. I'm going to pull the plug and get on with life. I've got 2 half bottles of wine in the house and I've been looking at them, wondering whether to pour them away, leave them there as a test or down them. The first is probably the most sensible. The second would be too hard and the third is the most stupid, so I'm doing that.

All I have to do now is simply not buy any and there won't be any. I haven't got the cash anyway, it's stupid. I can do this. Lot's of ice water and cups of tea I think. Holy crap!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stereo - Best of luck with your journey. There may be a few challenges ahead, but keep focus and you will beat them.

My wife and I want nothing more then to own a spot like you have and have the opportunity to set up a 'wild' retreat for the middle-class with disposable income. You are on to a winner there so I advise you to crack on with it.

We stayed at a place called Evergreen Farm in East Grinstead in 2012 (I know - not the place you would expect a cool camping experience, but we were going to the olympics and didn't want to stay in London).

They dont appear to have their own website, but read the reviews: Evergreen Farm Woodland Campsite in West Sussex - Evergreen Farm is a woodland camp site on the outskirts of East Grinstead, in West Sussex. Being from the fa...

Availability calendar Evergreen Farm Woodland Campsite, East Grinstead

The site is fantastic because it follows these rules:

1. It is away from disturbance. Even when all pitches are occupied, there is roughly 100m between each pitch

2. you are left to your own devices in a woodland. No facilities apart from compost loos and a fire pit for each plot

3. Firewood, water and breakfast (if you want it!) is delivered by the owner each morning

4. Access is only by quad bike. You arrive on site, park up near the farm buildings, then you are left with a quad trailer to fill up with all your kit. When ready, you are driven to your pitch down in the woods.

5. Then you are left to your own devices...

Honestly, this was the best 'formal' camping we have done as a family. It ticked my wild camping boxes (I prefer wild camping over campsites), my kids had free reign to run about naked (as did I!) and we really got away from it all in a protected little bubble. I would go again in a heartbeat and pay good money too.

So, if you can put together something like this, the more basic the better, then I believe you will be a success.

Best of luck.

Do you do any farm gate sales?.... proper free range eggs always sell well, if they are good. I don't mean supermarket so called free range.... I mean proper free range.

People like a proper fresh free range egg with a proper yellow yolk and proper egg taste. It's where it's at!

You can keep up to 50 hens without the bureaucratic nonsense/ having to test for Salmonella, etc.... you do need to be selling direct to the consumer though. We sell half a dozen eggs at £1.50.

Cheers, steve

Stereo - Best of luck with your journey. There may be a few challenges ahead, but keep focus and you will beat them.

My wife and I want nothing more then to own a spot like you have and have the opportunity to set up a 'wild' retreat for the middle-class with disposable income. You are on to a winner there so I advise you to crack on with it.

We stayed at a place called Evergreen Farm in East Grinstead in 2012 (I know - not the place you would expect a cool camping experience, but we were going to the olympics and didn't want to stay in London).

They dont appear to have their own website, but read the reviews: Evergreen Farm Woodland Campsite in West Sussex - Evergreen Farm is a woodland camp site on the outskirts of East Grinstead, in West Sussex. Being from the fa...

Availability calendar Evergreen Farm Woodland Campsite, East Grinstead

The site is fantastic because it follows these rules:

1. It is away from disturbance. Even when all pitches are occupied, there is roughly 100m between each pitch

2. you are left to your own devices in a woodland. No facilities apart from compost loos and a fire pit for each plot

3. Firewood, water and breakfast (if you want it!) is delivered by the owner each morning

4. Access is only by quad bike. You arrive on site, park up near the farm buildings, then you are left with a quad trailer to fill up with all your kit. When ready, you are driven to your pitch down in the woods.

5. Then you are left to your own devices...

Honestly, this was the best 'formal' camping we have done as a family. It ticked my wild camping boxes (I prefer wild camping over campsites), my kids had free reign to run about naked (as did I!) and we really got away from it all in a protected little bubble. I would go again in a heartbeat and pay good money too.

So, if you can put together something like this, the more basic the better, then I believe you will be a success.

Best of luck.

That's exactly what we are aiming at. There is mains water on site but nothing else. Each 'pitch' will have about an acre of their own and there will be animals in paddocks for the kids to see.

Do you do any farm gate sales?.... proper free range eggs always sell well, if they are good. I don't mean supermarket so called free range.... I mean proper free range.

People like a proper fresh free range egg with a proper yellow yolk and proper egg taste. It's where it's at!

You can keep up to 50 hens without the bureaucratic nonsense/ having to test for Salmonella, etc.... you do need to be selling direct to the consumer though. We sell half a dozen eggs at £1.50.

Cheers, steve

Yeah, we do that. Keep them to organic standards in terms of space but not totally free range as a lot of foxes around here. I use electric nets and move them about. Most of mine are pure breeds so laying has tailed off now but I do have a nice Rhode Red cockerel and some Sussex hens so I'm planning on hatching some of our own 'ginger rangers' next year for a more consistent supply.

Yeah, we do that. Keep them to organic standards in terms of space but not totally free range as a lot of foxes around here. I use electric nets and move them about. Most of mine are pure breeds so laying has tailed off now but I do have a nice Rhode Red cockerel and some Sussex hens so I'm planning on hatching some of our own 'ginger rangers' next year for a more consistent supply.

Sorry, didn't mean to be teaching you how to suck eggs :laugh1:

Are you growing your own feed?.... we're looking to reduce our feed costs by planting stuff and rotating them around a quarter plot every 28 days.

cheers, steve

If you've got chickens already you probably already know all this but...

If you've got the space how about some ducks too? Runner ducks are easy to keep and lay pretty well although to do turn the ground to mud given half a chance. £2 a half dozen for the eggs round me and no trouble selling them as they are great for baking with.

Ex commercial hens can be picked up cheap and although they look scruffy to start with they soon come good and lay well. Good return on investment and comes with the added warm fuzzy feeling that you've made something's life better. We get the ex 'barn' ones that are just entering their first moult so have plenty of good years left.

You won't get rich on farm gate egg sales but even my dozen old slackers cover their feed bill and have a bit left over.

best of luck,

Stuart

Haven't got around to growing food yet but it's in the pipeline. We tend to hatch all our own birds. I did get some organic ex layers a few years back and they were hopeless. Soft shells, mad as loons and ate most eggs they did lay. We spent a fortune on supplements and anything to try and get the shells right but they were all laid out.

Have thought about ducks but not got around to that either....

Meanwhile, first evening in probably years without a glass of wine. So far so good.