Safety Rope for MEWP

Billhook

I see your point about grabbing the rope, but I don't see why holding on would be such an issue, presuming he is strong, fit and of normal weight.

The entire exercise is as dodgy as can be, holding on for a short while may be possible but hand over hand 60 feet down a rope, if you didn't get clattered by the cage as it passed you, and you managed to survive the kinetic and impact from any pendulum swing.

Your time would be better spent ensuring the machine was set up and guarded properly

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only thing I'll say is do whatever makes you feel at ease.

I break protocol every day of my working life, if I didn't, it would take me two days to do a one day job.

If the job you describe is a regular job painting the tower, then I would personally have proper anchors fixed above the work position on each h face of the tower and a proper descent rope system in place and not bother with the fall arrest shite or being attached to the basket.

None of us stick to protocol, it's about think outside the box, working out safe ways of doing things, the big rope thing is just not a good way. If there were no other way then it's better than nothing. But there are many better ways

I know of a council Botex crane that snapped in half a few days after it had passed its LOLER.

Just the same as some trees snap just after a visual inspection , we still climb them, I agree there are no guarantees with anything mechanical or natural.

I also agree that this thread is going in circles and the original poster had made up his mind about the stout rope idea and just needs to do it.

If he can attach a safety rope to a building then do the painting by rope access and forget about the 'dangerous mewp'

The entire exercise is as dodgy as can be, holding on for a short while may be possible but hand over hand 60 feet down a rope, if you didn't get clattered by the cage as it passed you, and you managed to survive the kinetic and impact from any pendulum swing.

Your time would be better spent ensuring the machine was set up and guarded properly

So you have done all your checks, put up barriers, mobile phone charged, machine in perfect condition.

You are fifty feet up and one of these starts to appear.

[ame]

[/ame]

No normal ground check would help as many are in built up areas with tarmac over them.

You are telling me that you would not grab the rope if it was there. Not the greatest option I grant you but it has to be better than the alternative of going over with the basket.

So you have done all your checks, put up barriers, mobile phone charged, machine in perfect condition.

You are fifty feet up and one of these starts to appear.

No normal ground check would help as many are in built up areas with tarmac over them.

You are telling me that you would not grab the rope if it was there. Not the greatest option I grant you but it has to be better than the alternative of going over with the basket.

Have you any idea of the probability of setting up and working, then falling down a sinkhole? You've more chance of winning the lottery - honestly.