Safety Rope for MEWP

Billhook

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because I can see that I am never going to convince many of you that just to have an unattached fast rope option is a good idea, perhaps it would be more interesting to have another Arbtalk survey.

Fast rope down from 50 foot

Who would you be prepared to do this for on a promise?

Monica for me, it is hard to believe that she is fifty years old (youngster compared to me!) but has matured like a fine red wine.

Just think, all that experience!

Like a full bodied italian Barolo perfect for us mature men!!

Not even close

hitchhikers-guide-galaxy-papercraft-001.jpg

I bow to your superior knowledge ( but only in this subject!)

My memory fading again. Of course it was not on the cover but on page seven thousand and twenty three!

’The Hitch Hiker’s Guide to the Galaxy’ is an indispensable companion to all those who are keen to make sense of life in an infinitely complex and confusing universe. For though it cannot hope to be useful or informative on all matters, it does make the reassuring claim that where it is inaccurate, it is at least definitively inaccurate. In cases of major discrepancy it is always reality that’s got it wrong. So, for instance, when the Guide was sued by the families of those who had died as a result of taking the entry on the planet Traal literally - it said “Ravenous Bugblatter Beasts often make a very good meal for visiting tourists” instead of “Ravenous Bugblatter Beasts often make a very good meal of visiting tourists” - the editors claimed that the first version of the sentence was the more aesthetically pleasing; summoned a qualified poet to testify under oath that beauty was truth, truth beauty, and hoped thereby to prove that the guilty party in this case was life itself for failing to be either beautiful or true. The judges concurred…and in a moving speech held that life itself was in contempt of court and duly confiscated it from all those there present before going off for a pleasant evening’s Ultra-golf. The Guide’s omissions are less easily rationalised. There is nothing on any of its pages to tell you on which planets you can expect suddenly to encounter fifteen mile high statues of yourself, nor how to react if it is immediately apparent that they have become colonies for flocks of giant, evil-smelling birds - with all the cosmetic problems that implies. The nearest approach the Guide makes to this matter is on page seven-thousand-and-twenty-three, which includes the words “expect the unexpected.” This advice has annoyed many Hitch-Hikers in that it is ‘A’ - glib, and ‘B’ - a contradiction in terms. In fact, the very best advice it has to offer in these situations is to be found on the cover. Where it says, in those now notoriously large and famously friendly letters, “Don’t Panic”.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I always have a climbing rope near at hand wether in basket or on ground with a throw line this is after having been stuck 45 ft up after the main hydraulic line ruptured and we couldn't lower it ,but you must lower yourself down on the machine side of the mewp

Sensible precaution for some like us, madness according to others.

I think Kimtree had the best answer back in post #33. Use a quality 11mm semi static rope with an appropriate descending device, with the slack taken out of the system. This leaves you with two hands to exit the bucket. You may get keel hauled going past the lip but you won't go down with the ship!

Sterling Rope, as well as other companies make simpler descenders (cheaper) than the Petzl ones. These wer designed for firefighters to exit buildings.

Also some fall arrest harness manufacturers make foot straps that snap on to your harness that can be deployed if you're dangling in midair. You can easily adjust their lengths so you have something to stand on to overcome suspension trauma.

I think Kimtree had the best answer back in post #33. Use a quality 11mm semi static rope with an appropriate descending device, with the slack taken out of the system. This leaves you with two hands to exit the bucket. You may get keel hauled going past the lip but you won't go down with the ship!

Sterling Rope, as well as other companies make simpler descenders (cheaper) than the Petzl ones. These wer designed for firefighters to exit buildings.

Also some fall arrest harness manufacturers make foot straps that snap on to your harness that can be deployed if you're dangling in midair. You can easily adjust their lengths so you have something to stand on to overcome suspension trauma.

Some helpful advice there thank you Brocky