Post your stump grinding photos

Stefan Palokangas

7 minutes ago, Ty Korrigan said:

Cesson Sevigné, Rennes.

I often worry about underpricing and this Euc growing through an old gravel and bitumen path did just that.

Fortunately no large hardcore was present so my fears where unfounded.

10 min prep digging around, 45 min grind, 20min clean up, 9 barrows of grindings.

Stuart

IMG_20210630_094920.jpg

It was an hour and 10 barrows 4 posts back!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mick Dempsey said:

It was an hour and 10 barrows 4 posts back!

You're right, I'm lying in bed with a temperature, not quite in my right head. 

I can't seem to recall much about the last few days except from phone images.

I've a Covid jab Wednesday too

3 minutes ago, Ty Korrigan said:

You're right, I'm lying in bed with a temperature, not quite in my right head. 

I can't seem to recall much about the last few days except from phone images.

I've a Covid jab Wednesday too

I had the Pfizer a couple of weeks back, no issues. Second one can be problematic.

Get well soon.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AHPP said:

I think aspen Bob has one.

I rate them for any commercial work where they will fit, good for any site work, large estates and golf courses . The deck is high enough so you can grind huge stumps without having to stop and move grindings. Its no good for Mrs Miggins back garden.

Downside is when its strapped to the telehandler or Mog its 30` long, upside is its a beast of a grinder.

foden002_zps7a2fc648.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

image.jpg1_zpsxdbttuqb.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

raycochipper001_zps92c6ed71.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
Edited by aspenarb
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

It's nearly 50 years since I did any stump grinding on my own account, then it was a Myers-Sherman or Opico on the back of a tractor. I have used the Dosko 10 years ago when working and the Carlton 7015 and Vermeer  252 around the yard doing bits and pierces at my last job.

I helped @Dom and his merry men fell a largish cedar for my brother and elected to grind the stump myself. It was half on a bank, 52years old and 4ft through at the felling cut.

Having seen @Ty Korrigan's preparations and knowing I would only have a small machine available I followed his lead, I spent a couple of days on the job as the weather was a bit too hot to want to do full days.

expose.thumb.jpeg.3fa8ab39390e75a9b0b910ac6c9e7d7e.jpeg

Hollowing.thumb.jpeg.8dc8bc7d143a6f579343d77d578ca8cf.jpeg

preparation.thumb.jpeg.384a0bac000deb572866a2139c10cfd9.jpeg

Halfway.thumb.jpeg.d8a4e7ce3af7b361d45ea1eef74d078f.jpeg

Done.thumb.jpeg.55e2eeab998df82a2b08f6c47ab6f7f3.jpeg

It took 5 litres of fuel and I shall have to go back and deal with any roots that become exposed when the area is levelled off.

I was surprised at how rounded the teeth became and as I had a couple of 4" tile cutting discs that had lost their edge but still had diamonds on the faces I ground the TCT back with those and by the time I had got round the 9 cutters they were both basically only fit for scrap.

Moving the grindings out of the hole was a bind and I had never needed to with the bigger machines, It would have been nice to have a leaf collector with a 5hp blower.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, openspaceman said:

It's nearly 50 years since I did any stump grinding on my own account, then it was a Myers-Sherman or Opico on the back of a tractor. I have used the Dosko 10 years ago when working and the Carlton 7015 and Vermeer  252 around the yard doing bits and pierces at my last job.

I helped @Dom and his merry men fell a largish cedar for my brother and elected to grind the stump myself. It was half on a bank, 52years old and 4ft through at the felling cut.

Having seen @Ty Korrigan's preparations and knowing I would only have a small machine available I followed his lead, I spent a couple of days on the job as the weather was a bit too hot to want to do full days.

expose.thumb.jpeg.3fa8ab39390e75a9b0b910ac6c9e7d7e.jpeg

Hollowing.thumb.jpeg.8dc8bc7d143a6f579343d77d578ca8cf.jpeg

preparation.thumb.jpeg.384a0bac000deb572866a2139c10cfd9.jpeg

Halfway.thumb.jpeg.d8a4e7ce3af7b361d45ea1eef74d078f.jpeg

Done.thumb.jpeg.55e2eeab998df82a2b08f6c47ab6f7f3.jpeg

It took 5 litres of fuel and I shall have to go back and deal with any roots that become exposed when the area is levelled off.

I was surprised at how rounded the teeth became and as I had a couple of 4" tile cutting discs that had lost their edge but still had diamonds on the faces I ground the TCT back with those and by the time I had got round the 9 cutters they were both basically only fit for scrap.

Moving the grindings out of the hole was a bind and I had never needed to with the bigger machines, It would have been nice to have a leaf collector with a 5hp blower.

Chapeau! 

I reckon on one turn of Greenteeth for a stump that size.

Stumps with wee grinders benefit with some prep to reduce machine time.

I scrape the bark off with an axe before cutting low as inclusions allow.

Sometimes cross hatching deeply helps break up the stump during grinding.

Bet you felt that in your arms afterwards.

Stuart

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Ty Korrigan said:

Chapeau! 

I reckon on one turn of Greenteeth for a stump that size.

These are teeth special to the grinder and only available in sets so I guess it will pay to sharpen them

Stumps with wee grinders benefit with some prep to reduce machine time.

I scrape the bark off with an axe before cutting low as inclusions allow.

Yes I saw, I actually used the machine to clean some faces prior to sawing some lumps off

Sometimes cross hatching deeply helps break up the stump during grinding.

I did do some but it means bigger chunks get thrown back

Bet you felt that in your arms afterwards.

Stuart

Yes but not too bad, the machine suffered a few teething problems, handbrake parted at a ridiculously feeble weld and one kill switch failed on.

• 7 months later...